1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

That reminds me, I do need to sort out our detectors. We do have two, one in the hallway, just outside the kitchen, and another at the top of the stairs, they seem to work just fine, testing beeps, and one seems to know when I am cooking.... but they are getting on a bit now and could probably do with updating. Might look into some of the smart ones as a bit of an upgrade.

We are about to have the boiler relocated into an old cupboard in the bedroom (kinda sorta part of the airing cupboard, but not quite, meh all the pipes go through there so it seemed logical) so I am thinking that I could do with getting a CO monitor or the bedroom as well, don't want to not wake up one day all dead and bright red.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I bought something midway betwix smart and dumb: interlinked wireless alarms. Ten-year battery and they form a basic mesh: when one goes into alarm mode, it begins transmitting a signal on the ISM band. When another picks it up, it goes into alarm mode too - and begins transmitting its own signal. And so on.

They're smart enough to share a coded link - you synchronise them when they arrive, or when you buy an additional alarm - so they don't go off if the neighbour's do. The pack I bought - one heat alarm for the kitchen and three smoke alarms, and I added an extra so there'd be one in every bedroom as well as on the landing - also included a simple remote which allows you to trigger syncing and also test/silence.

Need to dig out my can of smoke, though, see if they actually work - they beep when you press the button on the remote, but that's not a proper test!

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Life no longer ruined by this particular thing.
    I tried another location with a hard copy (at 150%) of the QR code, and it worked first time.
    Amazon acknowledged the parcel existed and authorised my refund within the hour.

Maybe the Evri machines just don't like high refresh rate phone screens (Pixel 6)?

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

We are pretty much "well in" with the whole Google and Nest thing (doorbell, home thingies, routers, about to have a Nest thermostat) so that is what I was looking at as well. Probably going to be looking at the hard wired versions as the locations that I am thinking of have power supplies that are reasonably accessible. Kinda liking the idea of the automatic night light feature that they have for the landing, just enough light to let me see the cats, but not enough to give me the squinties after having just woken up.They do both smoke and CO in one as well, plus they can apparently tell when the alert is due to cooking as well as bathroom steam.

A little bit of ouch at the £110 price, but hey, worth it.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If in doubt print it out.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

My turn for the blood trying to escape [from the opposte end].

**** you Jamie Olvier.

**** Hospitals.

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If you've got a printer, you could just print the Evri label yourself. No point choosing "Print at Store" then printing off the thing the store scans to print off the thing the store scans to post the parcel...

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I didn't see a way to go back on the Amazon page.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, I think once you've chosen one of the delivery options it locks you in.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gedit on the desktop has "Insert Date and Time..." and "Document Statistics" in the Tools menu, in that order; the laptop has "Document Statistics" and "Insert Date and Time..."

I thought I was going nuts, I kept hitting the wrong one!

11. wolfticket

Having a printer at home ≠ Printing a label that adheres to and is the right size for the parcel quickly and easily. Also print in store sometimes means not having to package either.
    I do know what you mean, but it might still be worthwhile if you do know your local store has a wonky scanner that doesn't like you phone screen.
    You can generally cancel the return and then create a new one easily if it's still within the 30 days.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I never unboxed the part, once I found out I didn't need it. The printed label went straight over the original Amazon label.
    This was the THIRD site I'd tried!
    Well, I know that now! :rolleyes:

13. Gareth Halfacree

I always forget that's an option, 'cos I've never trusted it enough to try!

I've got a label printer, but it doesn't do 6x4s so it's no good for shipping labels. I just print 'em half-A4 and stick 'em in an adhesive document wallet thing. Works a treat!

14. wolfticket

Pritt stick and sellotape round the edges for me.
    Wouldn't trust it for my precious, but I figure if it's Amazon that's their lookout.

spolsh likes this.
  15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If you ever see that the slobbing **** has been brutally assaulted on the street, and it wasn't you, you can put money on it being me

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I imagine there's a long queue of people wanting to tap-dance on his face for one reason or other.

Still spewing red stuff is not fun. Do not recommend.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2022
  17. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Just got my Steam Deck availability email…. So that will be a lot of money disappearing from my account soon!

Edit: darn it, that should have gone in Latest Purchases. Though to be honest the timing could have been better for shelling out that much…

Last edited: 21 Jul 2022
  18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Your environment applauds you. I can hear the dolphins clapping from here.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2022
  19. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I can kind of see the appeal of having them go off when your neighbour's do tbh.

And speaking of smoke detectors, Technology Connections did a great video on them recently. Highly recommend his channel in general.

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Popped front left tyre.

Roadworks mean I have to take an alternative route down country lanes. Was successfully playing 'dodge the pothole' until a white Audi (had to be an Audi, didn't it?) was coming the other way at a fair old speed and was a gnat's willy away from the centre of the road. Queue a big bang and the sound of escaping air. Pulled over, tried pumping it up but no joy, and then spent another 10 minutes driving at <5mph to get to somewhere where I actually had some semblance of phone signal (which keeps fading in and out).

Now to play the waiting game for the AA, though I suspect the estimated 1 hour arrival will be optimistic. This happened to me about 4-5 years ago and in the end I was waiting for 4 hours for a tyre fitting van to get to me.

I was supposed to be driving back Op Nurth today as well. Looks like I might have to change that plan.

UPDATE: Well, it wasn't the tyre. The whole front left wheel is buckled, and for good measure, the left rear is fairly buckled too. Yay.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2022