1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Best way to sell used car?

Discussion in 'General' started by wyx087, 4 Aug 2022.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I was taught to 'go' before I leave the house and can quite comfortably go 8+ hours without taking a pee break, the wife on the other hand......

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

This used to be me, I used to drive non stop (barring fuel ups and boats of course) Bristol to Sicily once family enters the mix, feels like you are stopping every five minutes, family cars need more toilets :D

wyx087 likes this.
  3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Or a felony hole....

sandys likes this.
  4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Don’t bother with WBAC, back in 2016 I took my 12 reg Corsa limited edition to them, felt like an easy seller. Very clean and sporty, Low mileage, service history, the works. Offered me an okay price at best but considering I had my new car at the time I wasn’t bothered about waiting around.

Had the most boring chap in the world walk around the car pointing out every teeny tiny little detail and knocking off ridiculous sums of money. £100-£150 per stone chip I think. £100 for a bit of stitching come loose on the bottom of a seat… my £5250 offer came down to £3300 and honestly the car was spotless for its age and mileage. I walked away having wasted 30 minutes.

Popped into the Vauxhall dealership I’d bought it from, got chatting to the sales assistant and said I was looking to sell mine and by a stroke of luck he offered to buy it for the forecourt. He paid only marginally more than what WBAC offered, a week later I dropped it off, signed the paperwork and that was it.

wyx087 likes this.
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Yeah, I suspect as much. The good thing with WBAC is that you can visit them and drive away without consequence. I don't know what happens with collection with likes of Motorway or Carwow dealers, where you have an offer price, but on collection they begin knocking price down. If I don't agree with final offer price, am I liable to pay for their callout/time?

After been persuaded by my family members, I've decided to leave selling the car until I get the new car. Ensure the new car have no problem before selling the old one (you know, Tesla build quality). Also allows me to get a new MOT on 25th Aug (booked) so hopefully slightly better resale value.

Just bought another tank of diesel for this weekend's impromptu seaside trip to escape heatwave. £60 for just 34L, wow. My last fuel up was in May at similar £1.76 unit price, thankfully escaped the £2 per liter during the peak by driving EV to work as much as possible. £1.50-2 vs £8-10 per day of 58 miles commute.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

No, I believe that's their risk.

wyx087 likes this.
  7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

In recent times WBAC has been paying out strong money (past year or two) due to the market but we seem to be coming out the other side of that and people like them and Cinch cazoo etc has been scaling back.

wyx087 likes this.
  8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Did you get any offers with CarWow?

I've been led to believe that the price offered is the price you will get, unless you've wildly misrepresented something about the car. A chap called me up once I had already had a few offers that wasn't your normal call centre person and talked me through it anyway, and that's what he said when I was thinking about taking one of the offers, so if a dealer were to then turn around and knock something off for reasons I would have been extra cheesed and told them to take a hike, and said as such, and he was unperturbed.

wyx087 likes this.
  9. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

When I sold my car though Motorway, it was a bit of a faff (but not unreasonable) to write down the imperfections on the car I had, but once done, I just waited a few days as the dealers offers came in. Once I'd gone for an offer (the local Arnold Clark garage), I think there was a little bit more detail required as the alloys were a bit scruffy, but I just took it along to the dealership and they were happy to pay the agreed price. I hadn't signed anything up to then, so could have walked away without penalty. The price didn't seem to be any lower than what they were going for privately, though dealers cars were obvioulsy much more.

I think if you're honest with the faults then you should be okay (at least that's my experience with Motorway - I wouldn't trust WBAC, they have to pay Mr. Schofields fees somehow).

wyx087 likes this.
  10. wyx087

No, I haven't gotten any offers on CarWow yet, only the instant buy prices. It was put on late Thursday. I told them a few defects that I had noticed but thought were normal for car of this age, and the estimated price were knocked down to £5100, I then had it listed for £5250 because I wasn't in a hurry to sell.

If the risk is on collecting party and there's no problem backing out of a collection. Then I see every reason to use Motorway/carwow than WBAC. They would have less incentive to knock off massive amounts if the unreported defects are minor (which they all are).

I'll try Motorway when I'm ready to sell. Or might just cut out the middleman/website and phone up car lots that sell cars in £5000-10k price range see if any would be interested.

Also took some better photos over the weekend and listed for a bit high at over £6000 to sell privately on Briskoda and NextDoor. I don't expect any responses on Nextdoor because we live so close to ULEZ. Nor Briskoda because it's a national website and it's not a race-y VRS version or super rare specs.

11. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I should add that when I ttok my car to the dealer he took a quick look over the car and did the usual checks on startup etc. I'm not sure what would have happened if there was something additional to what I'd already highlighted, but I had already sent photos of any scruffy bits (and all the non-scuffy bits) to Motorway so they essentially had all the info before I got to the dealer.

wyx087 likes this.
  12. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

I listed my focus on gumtree and ebay, got about 6 phone calls wasting my time, more time with wasted messages, but within a day someone was coming to see it, seemed interested, showed them the car took it a spin and they bought it without even haggling, was actually alot easier than i though it would be

wyx087 likes this.
  13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Wasn't Mike Brewer, was it? :p

14. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

‘Old aght your ‘and son!

IanW and stephen0205 like this.
  15. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

if only lol

16. wyx087

So I finally sold it to a not-so-local dealer. I showed Motorway price to him and he agreed to pay the motorway price.
    2013 Skoda Octavia 2l diesel, sold for £5200 to a dealer just outside M25.

Unfortunately trying to sell it locally was fruitless. I live very close to North Circular, driving into it need ULEZ compliant car to avoid £12 per day. All enquiries were "is it ULEZ compliant". Can't you read it's a 2013 diesel......

I had it on Carwow for a week initially for £5250, no dealer bid on it. So overall happy with the price I got.
    In summary, to get best price, have to do some legwork and talk to dealers if private sale is fruitless.

So overall cost for me to run this car for 30k miles VS running a similarly priced Nissan Leaf for 36k miles and very pessimistic resale value.
    [​IMG]

ElThomsono and Spraduke like this.
  17. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

First time I've seen detailed breakdown for electric car running costs that looks complete. Your resale price for the leaf does look very pessimistic (based on my previous searches for second hand EVs) - the residual prices on EVs are much much higher than combustion equivalents. 3p per mile for fuel vs 10p for a fairly efficient diesel is pretty stark contrast

18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Nice to see some decent data. I agree you've depreciated the Leaf a bit much but also second hand car prices have been mental recently, you probably wouldn't have gotten as much for the Skoda before the pandemic hit. Also you have to consider the Leaf is a small car and if you needed the space of an estate or the like there wouldn't be a cheap option like that.

19. wyx087

Well, before 2020, I had observed cars roughly half its price every 3 years. So I put down formula "=E8*0.5^(E4/3)", where E8 is purchase price, E4 is years of ownership. I've since adjusted the value from 0.5 to 0.6, this produced the estimated value you see for the Leaf. I'm guessing it's worth a little bit more than diesel Octavia.

Also have to point out, for clarity, that Leaf charging cost is based on flat rate of 12p/kWh. I've been on Economy 7 since purchasing Leaf, it was 8p/kWh back in 2017, slowly increased to 10p. When it hit 12p I got smart meter installed and moved to EV tariff that was 6p. Currently on EV tariff at 7.5p for just 4 hours. To get this 3p per mile, you MUST be on EV tariff with smart meter.
    https://octopus.energy/go/rates/

For space, we've not done any long journey in the Leaf for obvious reason. But for all short trips, it has managed everything I needed it to do including buying kitchen sink from Ikea, sometimes just need to be very creative with it. I refused to fire up ICE for short trips.

Spraduke likes this.
  20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Your insurance is quite high for a couple of old junkers, you must be a total liability :p :D

Good post though, it makes me happy, as I now know I am not the only saddo who sits and does on this crap on a spreadsheet. :D