1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 22/23 GPU Thread - RTX4000 AND RX7000 Series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 19 Sep 2022.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've already said that I have no interest in upgrading until the next generation, at least - Ryzen 5000 and Nvidia 30 series both have plenty of legs yet - but this is so depressing:

£1.6k for the flagship, £1.2k for one step down, £900 for what is clearly a hastily rebadged XX70 card (****ing outrageous) and the lower tiers being filled out by 30 series overstock.

I know I'm using £ instead of $, but is anyone honestly expecting anything better than a one to one conversion?

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

yup 1.1 to 1 ish :p 1.75k, 1.35k and 1k (999, because it looks cheaper :D)

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I can't help thinking that they're going to need to either thicken, heighten or otherwise further reinforce the PCIe slots (beyond the current metal shrouds) or the goldfinger tabs very soon. Or make vertical the new standard.
    Crossfire for the triple crown? :grin:

wyx087 likes this.
  4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It's now the only multi-GPU game in town. NVLink has been deleted from the 4090.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, some of those 4090s are 5 slot jobs. Plus, just what percentage of buyers are going to buy two these days?

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If it was supported and worked as well as SLI in its heyday, I'd buy two. Though in my case it'd be a second 3080Ti

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Aww, man! Regardless of practicality, I've always liked the idea of adding additional cards for moar grunt, just because it's possible.

I've never been "caught up in a Crossfire" because I understood it to be somewhat less reliable than SLI - have things improved on that front such that it's a viable option with these last few generations?
    :jawdrop: Seriously?! I did see that some of them were quad slot, but five?! That doesn't leave much room for anything else on the board at all. Might as well go mini-ITX at that point (but in an ATX case, from the sound of it - and with scaffolding). Not sure you could even stand it vertically within any currently-available case either.

Fair point on the cost though. Sizeable barrier. Like the one in the Thames.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I've ran both, no discernible difference really when they work, Nvidia clearly had more moolah to encourage game support in the past though.

With AMDs new architecture being chiplet based they might be better place to get this stuff right as they will essentially have multi GPU on board, clearly separate GPUs will have greater latency impact and management requirements but nothing stopping AMD doing a high speed 'NV link' to aid if PCI gen 5 can't handle it, in fact their whole chiplet strategy already has the highspeed link support on the CPU side so they have had years managing this stuff now.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2022
  9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Well, ATX still has more space for M.2 drives, which takes up board space but doesn't need vertical space that is occupied by the monster GPU.

May be a form factor re-think is in order. I'd love to be able to easily pick and choose my cooling solution. Eg. off the shelf AIO water cooling on the 400w GPU without spending ££££ buying that special watercooling edition, air cooling on the 150w CPU.

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I like new tech and what ive been reading is impressive, my plan was to possibly hop on the 4 bandwagon since the 3's got caught up in all the covid and chinese mining bollocks but looking at the market of whats coming up were kinda at point where there is literally nothing pushing modern GPU tech to warrent going up, my 2080TI FE is still slaughtering everything I throw at it.

think i might hold out for the 5's or watch the market to see how the next 12 months develop with RDNA3 kicking nvidias door in which tbh it needs to do with nvidia pushing 1600 ****ing quid for flagship tech

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Even the water cooled ones are 2 slots

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Old games that support multi gpu like Crysis (talking about the real Crysis not the rebastardized cash grab) run just fine on one GPU these days, modern games meanwhile barely have any multi gpu support at all.

There are some exceptions of course, for example Gears5 has multi gpu support as does Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but both of those use the directx multi gpu stuff instead of the gpu specific sli / crossfire.

Plus you also have to deal with the issue that no mainstream cpu can provide 2x pcie x16 slots.

So in the consumer space multi gpu has effectively been dead for a couple years now.

13. RedFlames

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Zip ties Cheesecake

wyx087 and adidan like this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Found just the ones

[​IMG]

wyx087 and Vault-Tec like this.
  16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Wow. Serial killer approved I assume?

adidan likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

[​IMG]

In other words? "We had to go first because AMD are dragging their heels so here, have these cards and then we can release the real ones under the Ti guise later"

adidan likes this.
  18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

It is a shame SLI/Crossfire has gone - being without it kind of either forces higher prices on people (to get the best card of the moment to play the recent releases at max) or for them to remain affordably behind the cutting edge, whether that's due to the age of the games they can play maxed out or the settings at which they can run a new game on a lower tier current-gen card (that all made sense in my head...:eyebrow:). Note - both of which are choices, obvs.

Used to be that you could grab a flagship-ish card one year and then another similar one second-hand down the line to keep you abreast of the then-current gen single cards as time moved on. And that is all also assuming that the current titles are Crysis-ing out the trending GPUs, which from others' comments, may not actually be the case at the moment.

I've had some luck with Profile Inspector, which has been nice, but I'm of the school mentioned above whereby I'm gaming on titles that are waaaaay behind new releases (although that should be about to change a bit, now we've joined Game Pass).

I hadn't heard of this - what does this entail?
    Isn't x16/x8 still as good, especially with the new PCIe 3/4/5 speeds? By "new", I mean of course "since back in the day".

19. RedFlames

Better late than never i guess...

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Considering the poop storm that is Nvidia and with amd not to replyin till the 3rd November, 12th October is probably a good slot for them. It's got to be nipping at the 3070 for that price, in rasterisation anyway.