1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 thread

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 13 Dec 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Sauber Romeo is becoming Saudi... Auber?

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The results are in. Redbull overspent by $1.86m, are fined $7m and docked 10% of their aero dev time for next year.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63430407

Not enough in my opinion. Should have a heavier fine, that fine also being deducted from next year's spend. This will not go down quietly I imagine.

3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Hmm, not enough of an expert to judge properly but seems sufficiently severe to me. In particular loosing budget out of next year

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Think red bull are going to be rubbing their hands, the fine is utterly pointless if it's not out of next year's budget.

Let's sit back and watch every team say f..k it and do the same next year.

I knew the FIA would chicken out of any real punishment.

5. The_Crapman

There's no monetary deduction. 10% aero Dev time is a fair whack, but I'd have like to have seen sterner penalty than that. Even last season toto and Hamilton both said they didn't know how red bull could continue to pull out more and more upgrades that allowed them the advantage later in the season. Now we know.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

As a percentage, the overspend is slighty (very slightly) higher than Max's margin of 'victory' in last year's chamionship, which is interesting. I've never been a big fan of Horner and Red Bull but now this has veered into active dislike.

Now we wait to see how Merc and Ferrari act.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2022
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This sport is so ****ing broken. I think I'm done with F1.

8. RedFlames

As for aero time, winning both chapionships means they get comparatively bugger all aero time anyway...

They'll look at it as 'we have the fastest car anyway... who cares...'

9. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Don't know what you're all complaining about, didn't we all get into F1 to consider the merits of potential tax credits?

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Is ginger spice aware that cheating is wrong?

11. RedFlames

Possibly... Whinger Spice, her husband... not so much...

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i mean the thing is, Cheating is part of sport these days ( if you aint cheating you aint trying has been a saying in sports since forever )
    look at the teams power units, they know that using more than their allowance is 'cheating' but the penalty is just part of the strategy now.

and without a large rules and penalties overhaul, teams can be like 'but Ferrari did this and only got this as a penalty, so to give us this is unfair and we will appeal it, or Red bull did this in 2017 and were only fined X etc etc

The entire FIA and penalties need a serious overhaul tbh

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The penalty is relatively weak, but the most important part is it was applied to the wrong year. If the team benefited from the overspend in 2021why are the being penalised in 2023?

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Maybe it's my pedantic nature, but I've always been a purist in that regard. I hate cheating in sports - I was enraged by the faked blood replacements in rugby and I fully advocate red-carding players diving in football. I understand that some athletes can fall foul of drug testing limits, given the complexities and sheer number of substances on either side of what seems like a very blurry line, but blatant and coordinated transgressions should be grounds for lifetime bans.

The win at any cost ethos in F1 has always been a sore point and why I hated Schumacher and, to a lesser extent, Senna.

Yeah, yeah, nice guys finish last an all that, but who says we should have to accept that?

Last edited: 30 Oct 2022
  15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i hate it as well, but the Win at all costs mentality has slowly seeped into the public conscious
    and its ok to cheat, because everyone else is cheating, so im only evening the playing field by cheating

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I don't think cheating is widespread, in F1 the 'cheats' more often than not are using interpretations of the rules that are perhaps not in the spirit of the rules, you can't really regulate the spirit, just what is written and tighten up any loopholes/innovations as and when found. These teams employ the best people to find competitive advantage and that is what they do.

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

It's one thing to bend the rules but this scenario is black and white. There is no spirit of the rules argument or a test to measure based on changing input values.

They were told they could spend a certain amount and went over that. There isn't even a paper work or system error here, they had a year dry run to work out if they understood everything.

Put simply, they wouldn't have pushed the limit if there was no benefit. That benefit resulted in a "championship". They should be stripped of that plain and simple

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I do agree the penalty should be more severe, but that probably coloured by my dislike of Verstappen and Horner, the rules and penalties for breaking such rules aren't tight enough and are sufficiently vague that FIA could dish out anything and be following what is in black and white, at the very least there should be a clear fixed points penalty for an overspend, say a couple of points per 100k with allowances for FIA to give extra penalties, otherwise you could look at red bulls penalty and could consider it a cheap way to win a championship.

19. RedFlames

Oh No...

...anyway.

What will sky do for content now?

20. The_Crapman

I don't particularly dislike redbull or their employees (well, maybe Marko), but even I think the penalty is too soft. Budget for next year should have been reduced by AT LEAST the amount of the overspend, of not more. 10% reduction in aero Dev time just means they can concentrate reasources elsewhere and considering they're probably well into dev for next years car, they can switch their attention to mechanical advancements.