1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Having fallen for the dating app triggerfish ploy, I must say this bedsheet reveal does now seem like they've taken a round to the foot PR-wise. Tabling it until after release might have been a better idea.

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Anyone got anything to report on the latest dynamic event? I'm determined to clear some drive space so I can install this and have a look around.

Separately, does anyone know if progress made during these Alpha sessions will get reset upon launch?

3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Holy cow! That bloke's nuts (and quite entertaining)!

Fair play to him though, he truly has reached his "Star City Zen".

Weekly_Estimate and SuperHans123 like this.
  5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

CIG are $8m or so away from breaking 0.5 billion dollars.

That's halfway to $1,000,000.000.00.

The artificial intelligence in the pre release tech demo still stand around doing nothing and Squadron 42 is undoubtedly years out (I repeat this sentence every year or two).

If Chris Roberts had been selling a car, he started by spraying some metal and showing off cup holders rather than thinking about chassis, suspension, brakes, engine, etc.

Bloody_Pete and kosch like this.
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

+Thats not fair, he made an amazing, futuristic wheel that looks fantastic and rolled it down the road! Then charged people on variations of wheels, hubcaps, bumpers, etc... :p

Impatience likes this.
  7. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Fantastic, our visionary Chris Roberts should have enough funds for the project.

Did you have a look around? How was it?

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, man. I didn't get time in the end - realised my "clearing drive space" mission was a loose thread and it's going to take some time to organise or bin my digital toot now that I've pulled on it.

I do intend to sort myself out soon though, hopefully in time for the next event. In which case, I will advise!

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Visionary, yes. Along with an over promising, under delivering misleader of gamers. It is not either/or I am afraid. He is certainly, 100%, both. Squadron42 was supposed to be out in 2016, and for the last 4 years, between 2018-2022 (!!!), they have shown nothing about it's present development.

Duke Nukem Forever levels of promiseware.

Having said all this, from someone who has posted on this thread for 9 years, I played the latest patch for the last 2 days and I have to say - lots of fun. Its been like Freelancer with amazing visuals. I haven't tried many of the new features. Just the older stuff that I had tried umpteen times over the years before and always crashed/desynced/glitched/fell through the floor/AI stand still that made me rage (2017)/apathy (2019)/laughing fit (2021) quit time and again.

Apart from the client disconnects every couple of hours, it's been a real blast.

I understand the next patch, 3.18, is going to add full persistence of all objects in the game. A pretty massive change and I imagine, with lived and painful experience, it is going to make it quite unstable.

Still, very happy with what I did in 3.17.2 and clocked up many hours of fun. I didn't think I'd write that again. Look forward to 6 months after 4.0 releases, when it will likely be stable enough to enjoy!

Pete J and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Meanwhile, at a "Bar Citizen" event in China

11. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Anyone got updates for me and SuperHans123? I know we're both salivating for anything new!

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

• This year's "International Aerospace Expo" runs from the 18th to 30th November. Jax McLeary will return.
    • Patch will be 3.17.4 to include the exhibition halls & flyable Drake Corsair.
    • New ship from RSI to be released at the show
    • Patch 3.18 which has lots of updates will go to open PTU/release next month.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  13. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Wtf?

14. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Sounds interesting... As long as those escape opportunities (and conjugal visits - real or virtual, open to most things) are numerous. Don't fancy paying real money to do an actual fifteen stretch for galactic piracy in real-time.

Question about those multi-crew ships whilst we're all here - what's the deal with getting yourself on as a turret gunner, for example, on one of the bigger jobbies? Do you have to know someone who's ponied up for a subscriber cruiser, or buy one yourself, or can you get on an AI one somehow? Will NPCs populate slots on yours if you do buy one?

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Right now, you need to have friends who either own one or are willing to serve as crew on yours.
    Hiring NPCs is still off into the future, and crewing on NPC ships isn't even planned yet.

16. kosch

I still don't get why there are delays with squadron 42. This should have been the easy part. I wish they would draw a line in the ground and say what we have is good enough for the campaign. Get it out there and always do an updated version later as the main SC branch plows ahead.

Makes me laugh how the digitized actors will have aged since the mocap/texture scanning was done.

17. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

The last 2 hours of the 5 hour long citizencon video from this year was quite illuminating on the status of squadron42. The on foot AI has had a lot of work which is positive. Space walks have been hugely improved and look like fun. Lots of running and jumping changes. Cyberpunk esque.

Roberts confirmed a big aspect of squadron gameplay is going to be movement puzzles ala tomb raider and search, locate, build puzzles alongside the mooted combat, space pew pew, space transitions, and stealth.

Roberts also confirmed there will be skills now that you can improve, like stamina etc. I am absolutely certain this is in response to cyberpunk and star field. A total tacked on after thought so it will likely be rubbish. This in and of itself proves the "feature creep development hell" of star citizen. Exactly why he got sacked by Microsoft. Games are being released around squadron that are already better and built within original scope, plans and deadline!!

Roberts practically confirmed it's at least another 2 years out... The original release date for Squadron was 2016. So confirmed to be at least 9 years late if this 2 year claim is accurate, and it won't be.

I still hope the story and cast will be killer but the original actors may likely die in the meantime so the mooted "trilogy" will never happen as intended.

Pete J and Bloody_Pete like this.
  19. kosch

Erugh and here I was just hoping for some wing commander / freespace 2 style campaigns and storyline with the added bonus later on of privateer / freelancer free play. Maybe I am a simple man with simple needs :D

Pete J and Bloody_Pete like this.
  20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git