1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

When does the rest of the plane arrive?

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

You're the first person I've ever known to pay for YouFTube Premium. I watch loads of the stuff and won't pay for it :o:

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Not plane...

[​IMG]

b1g-d0g, Isitari, Byron C and 3 others like this.
  4. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Amazon smart plug (because I can't be arsed to crawl into a corner to turn one light on or off :hehe:)
    Echo Flex
    Fire HD 8 + case to replace my ancient, probably ten years old tablet which does not charge any longer

Edit: bigger memory card for that tablet as well, my e-book library takes up four times the space I though it did

Last edited: 24 Nov 2022
  5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't get why people don't pay for it. For the service it offers and the amount that I use it I think the cost is fine. It also helps creators way more when you view their content

Bloody_Pete, Byron C and Isitari like this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

@Vault-Tec Dude, what do you do with all these pcs! :lol:

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

stash. Never underestimate the power of the stash !

I have two at home. I have one at mum's (the new tiny one). Eventually that will be two.

Edit. Actually I have three at home if you include the server.

Byron C and adidan like this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

In my case it's half because I don't really watch anything on YouTube and half because Google kept removing features from the mobile app to lock behind the Premium paywall. I remember when being able to switch to a different app and keep the video running in the background, or turning your screen off but keeping the soundtrack running, was just something you did; now it's something you pay twelve quid a month for.

Frankly, I'd rather never use YouTube again than give Google a penny for the stuff it took away.

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

£13 is steep, mostly because it covers music. Spotify premium is £10. If you could get some sort of music free YouTube premium for £6, maybe £8 I'd happily pay that?

Can you explain how YouTube premium helps creators more than watching ads?

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Creators make much more money from YouTube Premium revenue sharing than they do from ad money - and videos can easily get de-monetised, meaning they no longer earn ad revenue, but de-monetisation doesn't affect revenue from Premium.

The days when YouTube creators could build a sustainable income solely from YouTube ad revenue alone are long gone. Hence the rise of sponsors and third-party services like Patreon.

From https://www.howtogeek.com/659597/what-is-youtube-premium-and-is-it-worth-it/:

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Huh, ok. Part of me wants to help people making content, part of me is like **** YouTube :blah:

perplekks45 likes this.
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Honestly I feel exactly the same way. I want to support the people making the content in the first place, because without them it wouldn't matter if YouTube had the most advanced video streaming infrastructure on the planet. But at the same time.... **** YouTube the company for the very shitty things that they do. Sadly however unless you have a dedicated following, or you're big enough to build and monetise your own infrastructure (like LMG did with Floatplane), if you don't play the YouTube game then practically no one will ever see what you produce.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This, pretty much. Ad blocker and VPN means I don't see any ads on YT, apart from on my tablet during lunch break at work because I can't connect to my VPN over the company wifi. Even then, it's only usually a 5 sec pre-roll.

My long-standing position on this is I was happy to endure ads on sites until they stepped way over the line and started with full screen pop-ups, ads the scrolled with the content and auto-run videos. They fired the first shots so I went with the nuclear option.

They may have softened their tactics now, but I'll never know.

keef247 and perplekks45 like this.
  15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

What gripes me most is that after a video plays, they slap an ad in your face. I don't particularly mind ads before videos, even during, but to just tack one on the end because they can? I feel sorry for the insomniacs using YouTube to fall asleep.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

There are ads on YouTube?

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Vanced still works perfectly on Android, it's just a bit trickier to get hold of since Google had it terminated. It unlocks almost all Premium features on the mobile app, and includes Sponsorblock etc. if you really want to pillage your favourite creator's income stream.

I'm not advocating it, that's a moral decision for you to make. Suffice it to say that I haven't yet found the time or inclination to uninstall it :lol:

Last edited: 25 Nov 2022
  18. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Interesting, I have it installed, never used

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Byron C likes this.
  20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Byron C and IanW like this.