1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Graphic Tablet Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackerthanblack, 26 Nov 2022.

1. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Currently my daughter enjoys drawing on her phone (Galaxy S20), but we think that a graphic tablet might be a good progression for her, giving more surface area and better control. At the moment she doesn't have a stylus as she lost it, though I will get a replacement sometime.

She mostly draws and edits anime characters and backgrounds, but does sometimes do other stuff. Thing is, I know naff all about graphic tablets, so hope someone here can suggest something? I don't need anything professional, but something easy to use and decent quality with a quality screen.

I'm not even sure how these connect to the PC (if they're cabled or not). I'm tempted just to say Wacom, but XP-PEN seems to be good in some reviews as well. Sizewise, not too big as she is only 13, but obviously a good increase on a phone.

Is there anything that may be suitable on the market currently - I noticed that CEX have some advertised, so may be happy going with a good quality older model if it's worth it?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

XP-PEN and Huion are the cheap but still decent options last i saw, if you want one with a built in screen [so you're drawing on the screen itself] they're your best bet without spending WACOM-level silly money. Most of the cheaper drawing tablets lack the display.

It's that or some flavour of pen-supporting tablet like the ipad or the like.

3. blackerthanblack

Thanks, yeah she definitely needs a screen as she like to draw while lounging on the couch or in bed - miles away from a monitor. Looking at these two makes now, but definitely have an aversion to anything Apple, even though that may be the best all round tablet, we're looking for something specific to the task.

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Daughter has been using one of these for the past 5 years to do her college / uni arts / graphics design degree on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VZF7...&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B07VZF7ZC9

Works well & seems up to the job, requires a wired connection to a PC / lappy, may be a smidge OTT for a 13 year old though, daughter uses the Adobe suite of graphics programs, no idea how it'd work with other stuff.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Question!

Are you looking for a tablet that will work with a separate monitor.
    Or a combined Pen Display that works as the monitor and she will draw directly onto it?

For a tablet by itself, Wacom's cheapest Intuos is very good. It's the only one under £100 that has really good software and drivers.

For a Pen Display it's a bit more complicated.
    XP Pen's 13.3 Pro and 12 Pro are really good for about £200 to £260. They have good drivers and the pen's very predictable. Avoid the '2nd Gen' models of the Artist 10,12 and 13, they've done something weird with the pen and it draws wobbly lines.

The Wacom One probably has the best pen, but also costs £250+ and has a worse screen than the XP Pen Pro models.

Or, The Galaxy Tab S6 Lite and S7FE happen to be really good drawing tablets. They use a licensed version of Wacom's pen tech so they draw very nicely with the S-Pen. They can also connect to a PC and use the SuperDisplay app to work as a pen display.

Or you can splurge and buy her a Cintiq 24 and a Tourbox, I love mine :D.

6. blackerthanblack

Good to see that someone round here has some experience of the XP-PEN products, TBH I'm leaning more and more towards them

Definitely something with a screen - I think the 'blank' tablets would take a lot of getting used to and she would have to sit at the desk/monitor, while with a screen would let her be anywhere while connected to the laptop or phone.
    Not going to dive right into the top end, but I was thinking something £150 to £250, she is only 13 but is certainly going down that route in school and has always enjoyed drawing, so don't want to cheap out and put her off with a difficult to use product.

Edit: Thanks for the advice on the 2nd gen, that's good to know.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2022
  7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

For that price it's either a Tab S6 Lite or the XP Pen 12 pro.

The XP Pen is probably the better drawing device, but needs to be connected to a PC and obviously it does nothing else.
    The S6 Lite's a bit smaller, but it's a stand alone device and whatever software she's using on the S20 will likely run on the tablet too.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's also worth pointing out that those kinda of things live and die by software support... if the software doesn't support that tablet's flavour of pressure sensitivity you might as well be using your finger on a touch screen.

So, in that vein... IIRC XP-PEN, Huion and Wacom are widely supported in the like of Photoshop, Krita and GIMP

Miles away from a monitor probably means miles away from any potential host computer too and all of the above will require one or more cables... they're also designed to be used on a desk [or on a stand on your desk], not on your lap.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This sounds like a standalone tablet is going to be the better answer, tbh. All of the graphics tablets being discussed here are going to need a host PC to run them - if it'll be "miles away" from a monitor, and presumably a computer, these options probably aren't going to work. They're definitely cheaper than a standalone Android tablet, but you need a host PC nearby.

This is sounding like a good idea, tbh. I can't speak for Samsung Galaxy tablets because I haven't owned one in a very long time, but they're among the best of the bunch from what I gather. FWIW - and even if you hadn't already ruled out Apple, the cost alone would be way over what you're looking to spend - I use an iPad Pro 12.9" with the Apple Pencil (2nd gen) and it's an amazing experience for writing and rough sketches.

10. blackerthanblack

Some great points by everyone, thanks. My thinking was that she has a laptop and phone, and the tablet could connect to one of these nearby as they are portable. However, it would mean a bit more cumbersome than ideal, so looks like I may add the S6 lite to the shortlist. She seems happy with the screen on her S20, but obviously bigger would be better.

I think I'll do a bit more research, see how good the S-Pen is compared to a dedicated pen/tablet, and discuss with her any preference she might have.

Arboreal likes this.