1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Puddidium235 - Feb 2023 Complete +Final pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 13 Nov 2019.

1. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Ah that's a PITA - does the card still run? Possible that the resistor moght just be involved in cleaning up power and the card may still run fine.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It was never powered up, and I don't plan on trying. I've cooled off a bit and am trying to find where the resistor came from. I may not have the magnification for it, though.

3. ifohancroft

ifohancroft Minimodder

4. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

For some reason... I stopped getting e-mail notifications from this thread! (that and a good long hiatus) So I just got done reviewing a couple pages of stuff. Looking great Cheaps!

Cheaps' work logs go by a lot faster when you wait a couple years before coming back to it :p

5. Cheapskate

FOUND IT! I may be able to save the gpu after all. It will have to wait a bit because the magnifier made my eye feel like I put a vacuum on it.

BOO! :lol: Thanks anyway.

6. Mosquito

haha I don't think it's actually been a couple years, but it's probably been close to 1
    (also, my Jam Packed project isn't quite "done" yet either... if it ever gets there)

7. Cheapskate

There was a child involved. I think that could help you gauge how long you have been gone.

8. Mosquito

He's a little over 2 now, but I think my last update on Jam Packed was about a year ago. Also probably about the last time I worked on it too, at this point...

9. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    -I THINK I got it... See that tiny brown devil in the middle of the red circle? I had to re-attach that little sh*t. Waiting for a time I wasn't too shaky to do it took forever.
    [​IMG]
    -This little attachment helped tremendously. That wire is about the same size as the resistor.
    [​IMG]
    -What I did before all this drama: I got the intake for the waterblock bored out.
    [​IMG]
    -I set the rig up like this for gluing, only with a glob of silicone sealant under the tube. Then I slopped a bunch more on top, and screwed the top layer on. After a week, I was able to 'unplug' the motherboard from the fitting and clean up excess glue.
    [​IMG]
    -The green layer on top was sealed in the same way, but mineral spirits and pipe cleaners were used on the inside of the channel right away. Then I put it all back the way you see it here. -All block, no motherboard. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -My dimensions seem to have been right on target for a change, but I didn't take the screws on the GPU backplate into account.
    -Don't ask how I'm getting plumbing in there. I have it drawn up, but actually doing it... :worried:
    [​IMG]
    -For part of that, I've cut the last set of channel blocks for the GPU.

Thanks again, and wish me luck. I'm hoping for no magic blue smoke in the future.
    [​IMG]

arduum and Vault-Tec like this.
  10. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Nice solution on the CPU block! Looks very slick.

11. Cheapskate

12. Mosquito

neat trick with the soldering iron, I'll have to keep that one handy!

arduum and Vault-Tec like this.
  13. Cheapskate

:lol: Thankfully, I didn't bond that wire to the board.

Mosquito likes this.
  14. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    -About those screws I couldn't clear, Here's a pic of me using scotch tape to get an imprint of them. I used a burr to drill little indents in the block.
    [​IMG]
    -I got it all blocked up. I am putting some serious weight on that poor PCI slot.
    [​IMG]
    -I made this little block to hold the bracket. I've since cut out more of the back panel too. Really... The card takes up 2 slots, and they put the ports right on the edge? PHOO!
    [​IMG]
    -There was NO WAY to fit a hard line in without pulling the bottom manifold, and possibly having the clockworks fall out of the reservoir. I've had enough disasters already, and no one is going to see this. ( :lol: I mean, except the 4 people left in the logs.) This one uses red O-ring too. I managed to burn through 50 feet of black somehow. :worried: -On one rig.
    [​IMG]
    -I did the easiest bend first to get the hang of doing this. It's not great, but I'm running out of materials...
    [​IMG]
    Here's how snug the fit is. The bend follows the inside of the panel with about 2mm to spare.
    [​IMG]
    -This is the jig I milled for the second tube.
    [​IMG]
    -And I went to fit it and noticed something was not right. I lucked out, and after turning the box of tube upside down, a piece JUST long enough for a 2nd try fell out.
    [​IMG]
    -Got it. Now I gotta see if it works. :worried:
    Thanks again. :D
    [​IMG]

15. arduum

arduum Minimodder

16. miculago

miculago Minimodder

I have no words...
    Refering to your profile description, you are not stupid, more like hardcore insane, which turns into artistic work.
    Hope every thing works fine :thumb:

Arboreal likes this.
  17. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys. :D
    @miculago - 'Hardcore insane' - I like how that sounds. My problem has been that I raise the skill level on each project I do. This time around I have hit problems constantly.

18. Mosquito

This has annoyed me forever. When they're so close to the edge they hit normal pci slot dividers.

Also that 4 count, does it include the search engine crawler bots? Lol

I've been out for a while, so I may have missed or not be remembering, but is this a first hardlining in one of these tiny creations?

19. Cheapskate

It's a first for me bending plastic tube. Turnip was entirely copper soldered pipe, and bloo had various copper pipe arrangements.

20. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Looks fantastic with all the blocks and hard acrylic piping. Is it ready to add water yet? :)

How frustrating is bending acrylic pipe compared to bending copper pipe? Asking for a friend...

Last edited: 13 Feb 2023