1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My point still stands :p It still crashes frequeently for me so I can only do a few GB at a time -_- I'm almost tempted to rite a python script to kill and restart it one an hour! I CBA to do the mouse inputs though :p

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Is there no-one local to you who plays, that can give you a copy of the game on a portable drive?
    That way, you just copy the files over to your own SSD & have the launcher verify.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Alas no, and my office internet is... problematic currently...-_-

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

More than happy to load it to an external drive and throw it in the post, so long as you send the drive back :)

suenstar and IanW like this.
  5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thanks for the offeer, I'm only a few GB away now! Maybe even this weekend I can game!

IanW and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I noticed something today whilst having a poke around the website - there was a merchandise item where you could buy red paint for your smaller craft for about $5, but buying red paint for your larger craft was $19. How is this even a thing? It's not as if physical paint has to be bought and applied manually to your vehicle. Unless I'm missing something, I would imagine there's a button that just goes "skin this craft in this colour" and changes all the panels from grey to red or whatever (thinking about it, this shouldn't even be a chargeable process, rather something you just get on with yourself in the hangar).

Also, a lot of links were broken for me - the "see more merchandise" one; the "watch how to start playing" one; the links from the recent article re: shirts and patches...is this me/my browser settings or are others also seeing such oddities?

SuperHans123 likes this.
  7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Th
    That's because the bigger ships have more pixels. Duh :hehe:

It is a bit ludicrous.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If it were a uniform flat skin or a filter the difference wouldn't make sense, but in this case it looks like it's effectively a new detailed skin that is principally red (or whatever) in colour created from scratch, and they just call it "paint". Given that the larger skin will be the same level of detail as the smaller one and so proportionately more work to create, then the price difference does make sense, kinda...

...Whether that price, or any of the costs associated with this game/project make any sense though, I guess ymmv :lol:

9. Weekly_Estimate

Woo! Roll on 3.18!

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  10. Weekly_Estimate

830 paid actors

11. Weekly_Estimate

Last edited: 5 Feb 2023
    Pete J likes this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Thread tidied. Let's keep it about Rampart Star Citizen, people.

Bloody_Pete, IanW and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

OK.

They've announced the date for this year's Citizen Con, the first IRL since the before times.
    Los Angeles, Oct 21 2023. Venue not actually confirmed yet, but likely to be the LA Convention Centre.
    (Yes, it's the same weekend as TwitchCon in Las Vegas.)

Last edited: 6 Feb 2023
  14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thanks!

15. Weekly_Estimate

Road map update
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19117-Roadmap-Roundup-February-8-2023

Notable Changes for February 8, 2023

Alpha 3.19

The upcoming release of Alpha 3.18 brings important advancements to the technology behind Star Citizen. The highlight of this update is Persistent Entity Streaming, which represents a monumental effort from our engineering teams. We are eager to share this update with more players soon and are thrilled about the improvements it will bring.

To ensure server and client stability in Alpha 3.18, both before and after launch, our team has decided to extend the 3.18 branch for an extra patch cycle. This will allow us to address any issues that may arise. As a result, the next update following the release of Alpha 3.18 will come before Invictus Launch Week and will feature a variety of new and exciting content you can read about below. Although this update will be designated Alpha 3.19, it will be built on the Alpha 3.18 code base.

Our production teams are currently evaluating the feasibility of integrating originally planned 3.19 content into the Alpha 3.18 branch. The items we are adding to the Release View today are subject to change and additions. Nonetheless, we wanted to share our tentative goals as of now, with potentially more updates/changes/additions coming in Roadmap updates ahead.

Release View

The following cards have been added to the Alpha 3.19 column on Release View:

Lorville Cityscape

Reworking the Lorville skyline to better fit the scale of the city and its distinctive buildings.

New Player Experience

An initiative for improving the initial (first 30 minutes) gameplay experience, which will help players understand the context of the world and introduce them to some of Star Citizen's basic features. This update focuses on the experience in Area 18 and Baijini Point.

New Missions - Salvage Contracts

With more civilian access to salvage ships, contract brokers are offering salvage jobs for derelicts around Lagrange Points around Stanton. These brokers charge a fee for their services so this will require some buy-in, but the contractors are free to keep any salvaged material for resale.

New Missions - Ghost Hollow PVP Mission

Adding a new mission type to the Ghost Hollow point of interest in the Stanton system. Making use of the comm-array as well as AI nav-mesh, this mission type will create PVP encounters where players will need to fight for control over terminals for a chance at big credit payouts.

Progress Tracker

Due to some format changes to the data we use for Progress Tracker, our update for both upstream and downstream teams in 2023 needs a bit more time to get sorted. You can expect these updates to come in subsequent publishes.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  16. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I cant really believe that it was 6+ years ago that I dumped my collection of digital ships (oct 2016!!!); a year after my daughter was born, and i had realised that sinking time into this game wasnt going to happen; we still dont have the single player....
    By the time we get this, i'll probably be retired, and have the time to waste and couldve kept the ships! :lol:

SuperHans123 likes this.
  17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Excellent, work now has a gigabit pipe (finally installed this week, its taken a year) so I can download it there!

Weekly_Estimate and IanW like this.
  18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You'll need a BIG usb stick or a reasonable-sized external drive to get it home. The current build is pushing 90GB.

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

We have an ABUNDANCE of 1TB NVME drives at work, so I'll just 'borrow' one with a enclosure :p

Weekly_Estimate and IanW like this.
  20. Weekly_Estimate

Upgraded from the connie ac to the Ares Inferno
    [​IMG]

IanW and Bloody_Pete like this.