1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Where to buy a new kitchen?

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeStorm, 15 Jan 2023.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Another tip: don't buy your appliances, sink, tap etc from a kitchen supplier (markup again), these are all standard sizes so you can shop around for deals or style preferences.

Goatee, wyx087, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  2. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Not big, 2.4 m by 3.5m for the area that has units but I did add some expensive corner units with the fancy storage things that pull out so you can easily access those deep areas, and some with curved doors etc. I choose to have quartz work tops which pushed the price up a lot. If i had chosen laminate, it would have been half the price.

I can throw up some photos if anyone is interested.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It should do, it's from the future.

MLyons and Fingers66 like this.
  4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

LOL, fixed, ta!

adidan likes this.
  5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That would be great. Still trying to work out what I want.

I had the same joke but thought no, I won't bring up the typo.

adidan likes this.
  6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As this thread has popped up, I'll add a little advice from my own experience of redoing our kitchen.

1) Don't bother with Magnet - like Mercedes they're trading on a name of quality that isn't deserved. Their units are at best unremarkable, at worst pretty crap. The kitchen we took out was actually one of theirs and built significantly better.

2) Most of the fitting process is much easier than you'd think - if you can build Ikea flat-pack and hang a shelf straight you could put some units in without too many headaches at all. All you need is a spirit level, drill, screws/plugs and patience.

3) Worktops are the hardest bit; if you can cope with laminate you can buy a jig and cut it using a modestly-expensive router and it'll fit like a glove. Solid is more work but you can still get a good result. The money you can save doing this will usually outstrip having to order a replacement piece if you make a mess.

4) If you're buying and they can bundle in appliances for cheap then consider it. We had an oven thrown in for a quid as an offer, but we'd already accepted that the units etc were competitively priced.

IanW likes this.
  7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Would definitely be interested in this, as just had a quote from Wickes for the kitchen which is a similar size and they said 10-11k! Although I think that's including fridge freezer, oven etc and new floor and tiled walls possibly.
    But still.....

8. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Got ours from Howdens but you’ve missed the time to buy with them which is October. This is the year end for them so they are pushing out deals. Originally quoted 7k for ours and I managed to get them down to 2.9k. This was for a 6m length one side, an up and over larder for the double fridge with a double full length coupboard and oven appliance unit. Worktops we purchased separately as well as appliances

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Go on Google maps.

Look up local kitchen fitters.

Pick a few with excellent reviews.

Get quotes.

Compare said quotes to quotes from the national poop artists such as Howdens, Wickes, etc.

Balance your feeling, understanding and price to make a call.

We bought our new kitchen from a local supplier about a year ago, who did an amazing job and put so much extra care and attention into the little things that he left us thoroughly impressed.

Little stuff like adding soft close hinges on all the doors without us asking for it or indeed charging us for it. Like cutting the oak worktops at the beginning of the job, so that they could be recoated in oil each day while they did the rest of the kitchen (not a single mark on the a year later!). Like just dealing with our wonky 200 year old walls.

Of you're anywhere Norfolk I can give you details!

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Our wren kitchen is nice, the units are pretty solid, but the draws have a lot of room taken up by their robust construction and makes them much smaller than you'd think it would be.

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Checkatrade.com & trustatrader.com can also help you find local trades.

12. Ajbod

Ajbod Minimodder

Checkatrade and trust a trader are really just advertising companies, all they are after is a slice of a tradesman s profits.
    all you see is the best of those who subscribe. It's a common modern thing, someone sees a way to insert themselves into
    various transactions to milk the clients.
    They advertise heavily at startup, and joining is free, then when fully running, it becomes regrettable that costs mean that charges have to be
    bought in, they trade on paranoia that turnover will suffer.
    I've nothing against the tradesmen on there, but many very good people do not subscribe.

13. GeorgeStorm

How long ago was this?

Yeah I've contacted some local places as well and people are coming out over the next week or so, had one this morning who again said for just redoing the kitchen would be 10k+. Room a similar size to @MightyBenihana so not sure how his quotes were so cheap! :D

Haven't really checked them yet but no harm in adding another to the list.

Didn't know about that but did check to be on the safe side and found one local place a little further away who are well rated and came out this morning to have a looksie.

Howden's will be providing some drawings/quotes next week as well so hopefully once I have some more options I can make some progress.

14. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

18 months ago mate.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  15. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

To give you an idea and this is some knowledge that was given to me from someone who work with howdens, they are making 70% margin on their standard quotes. Even when I knocked them down in their end of year they are still making 30+% so they have a lot of wiggle room. You just have to be patient with them and not go with the first thing they throw at you. I think I had about 7 quotes in total from them

16. GeorgeStorm

Yeah I'm in no particular rush, will be interesting to see what numbers they throw at me as currently both have been higher than I was expecting for the size of the space.

17. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Mine was cheaper as it was part of a whole ground floor remodel and I prepped the whole room myself, so it was ready to install with no faff.

18. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

How many unites (and what type) are you looking at?

19. GeorgeStorm

Fair enough.

I mean, this is the kitchen layout currently:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I guess 10-15 depending on size?

20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

We spent around £10K (including fitting) for our new kitchen, 8 big units (600-1m), 2 tall larder units, bridging units, ~8m of 30mm quartz including breakfast bar, upstands & windowsil, dishwasher, composite sink, taps all from Wren. We brought the new hob, oven, extractor and fridge freezer ourselves.

My other thoughts is do you want a significantly different design and are the carcases damaged? If not, have you considered a re-door and re-trim along with new work surface? There are companies that just do that work and it will work out much cheaper.