1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro RETRO GAMING - WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Spanky, 16 Feb 2023.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

General question because, I've not tried and have no idea, but will a PS1 on an LCD TV via scart result in the odd graphics output?

I presume it's down to how the LCD creates the image Vs a CRT or would scart in anyway minimise the impact?

Sorry if they're daft questions, I just got to thinking because my trusty Sammy (still only on 1080p) seems to have all the inputs you can think of, scart being one (,that's how the Wii is connected when it's actually used that is).

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If your TV accepts an RGB SCART input, and you've got an RGB SCART cable, you'll get one of the best possible pictures. It'll be the wrong aspect ratio (unless you override it and set your TV to 4:3, which you should), and it'll be way too sharp ('cos it's not a CRT), but it'll be the best you can get.

If your TV has the cheaper composite SCART input, or you're using a composite SCART cable, things will be blurrier and duller, but it'll still be perfectly playable. Basically the same as using the yellow, red, and white RCA cables.

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

Thanks Gareth.

That sounds better than I thought tbh. When I do convince the OH that we need a new TV it's good to know I can repurpose this one. The PS1 still has it's original RGB scart cable iirc and the TV has a scart input with a separate composite input elsewhere so hopefully it should be golden.

This pleases me, thanks. It'd at least save me having to clear a 10m2 space to fit a CRT in. :happy:

Edit: Just checked 3 HDMI inputs, PC VGA input, analogue Component inputs, a single SCART input (RGB capable), and one Composite video input. It also has a USB input and Common Interface card slot (no idea what that's for?!?).

So yeah, looks like the scart should do the job. :thumb:

Last edited: 28 Feb 2023
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

's for encrypted pay-to-view telly signals - you shove a Conditional Access Module (CAM) in there.

IanW and adidan like this.
  5. adidan

Ah ha, of course it is. They were (are?) a thing aren't they. Forgot about them.

Can always rely on your fountain of knowledge :happy:

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If it's a CRT then yeah, chances are it'll have an antenna socket for doing things the really old fashioned way :grin:. Of course you'll still have to tune the TV in and it'll look like utter garbage compared to even composite :grin:

As @Gareth Halfacree says, it should definitely work. But standard def upscalers in TVs tend to be a bit of an afterthough, especially on more modern TVs, so don't be alarmed if things look a little blocky!

adidan likes this.
  7. liamredskis

liamredskis What's a Dremel?

Just finished Metroid on the NES, now moving on to Super Metroid!
    People say it's better even than Symphony of the Night, so I'm going in with ultra-high expectations!

8. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I never played any of the Metriod games . I do have Metriod Prime for Gamecube thats on the to-do list.

9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

We revisited Halo CE at LAN night yesterday evening.
    It's not aged brilliantly but was a hoot to play.
    A fave of old is the 'Boarding Action' map in 'classic rockets' mode.
    It's like 2 bookcases facing each other with a gap you can fall into between them and you only have slow travelling bazooka rounds to fire! You can go up and down levels on ladders, and move from one side to the other via portals.
    Also played another variant with pistols and warthogs (jeeps) only. Much running round and running over your opponents.
    Halo CE came out in 2001, so counts as retro.
    We're also looking to resurrect Medal of Honour, Allied Assault to expand away from CoD2

10. liamredskis

liamredskis What's a Dremel?

I'm also sampling them for the first time ever thanks to the Nintendo Online subscription service (I use a Switch Lite).
    So far, Super Metroid is indeed super :) I highly recommend it, though keep in mind that it is quite tough. As for Prime, I've heard only great things about it, so I hope they will expand the service to include Gamecube games as well in the future. Fingers crossed!

maple likes this.
  11. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I had zero idea that Nintendo had a sub service! Just looking at it now.

liamredskis likes this.
  12. keef247

keef247 Modder

They also have a Dom service too ;)

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You need to organise a CEX expedition, you'd pay your mortgage off.
    I tried it again and was really shocked by how bad the framerate is in split-screen mode. The XBC's hardware could barely produce playable performance in single player; split-screen seems to finish it off.

Does Deus Ex count as retro? I'm replaying that and it's bloody brilliant, aged like a fine wine.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.