1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about FSB's and Multiplier's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by curme, 12 Apr 2004.

1. curme

curme Minimodder

What is the difference between a FSB of 200 and a Multiplier of 10 (2000GHZ) and a FSB of 133 and a Multiplier of 15 (1995GHZ)? I know 5GHZ :D , but my question is do I want a higer or lower FSB or Multiplier when I overclock? Does it matter?

2. Blassster

Blassster What's a Dremel?

You'll get greater performance if the FSB is higher, instead of having a high multi.

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

curme, I'm pretty sure you meant to use MHz instead of GHz. Sure, people have gotten some pretty good overclocks out of P4s, but I haven't seen one hit 2 terahertz yet.

What blasster said is true, but ONLY if you have your memory running at the same speed. Besides increasing bandwidth between CPU and memory, where a lot of traffic occurs, running them asynchronously creates a performance hit in having to coordinate the two clocks.

4. curme

curme Minimodder

Yes, MHZ. It's been a long day! I keep reading about making sure that memory is running the same speed. But on my ASUS A7V8X, in my bios (I have the latest version) it only gives me an option to mess with the RAM's (CORSAIR PC2700, two sticks of 512) timing, and then only to bump it up one notch (and from what I've read, you want it as low as possible). Does that sound right? Is my bios not letting me mess with my RAM's FSB speed, or am I just missing it? I'm I missing an important overclocking concept? And if I can't mess with the speed, how can I check to see if it is running at the same speed as my CPU?

Last edited: 12 Apr 2004
  5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

- - - glad this was said, i wanted to know too, thanks

6. Darv

Darv Bling!!

In your bios there should be a setting that changes the speed of the ram. It should give you the option to run it at a percentage of the FSB or something similar. You would want it at 100% so that they are the same, especially for an AMD setup.

7. skattrd

skattrd What's a Dremel?

High fsb - low multi is generally better, but in Asus A7V8X you want to keep the ram at the same speed as the cpu anyway - big performance hit if you don't.

Having ram fsb different to cpu is mainly intel chips - as the performance hit isn't as bad as AMD - my p4 2.4c is @ 275mhz - difficult/expensive to find ram that can do that hence running it at ratio 5:4 (cpu - 275mhz, ram - 220mhz)

8. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

I don't have an ASUS board but I've looked in quite a few BIOS's. If you don't see a setting for changing the ram divider or something or even the ram speed, it may be because you have it set to Automatic or SPD (serial presence detect). On my MSI board if I keep my ram set to automatic is will stay in sync with the CPU front side bus. But it still gives me the option to change my timings.

If you have CPU-Z installed, you can look on the memory tab and it will tell you what speed your ram is running at and what the divider ratio is in respect to your cpu, i.e. 1:1 or 5:4 etc.