1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks £1000 for a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by msm722, 12 Aug 2005.

1. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for a laptop for university. I'm doing computer science, so I do alot of programming, web design and media. I'm not looking to play games at all. If you could suggest a good laptop for me I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Budget? You want a portable one? Desktop replacement?

3. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

AMD 64 of intel?

Highlander, Not sure But I'm guessing the title being "1000 for laptop" might be his budget...

4. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

I guess the laptop will need to portable as I'm going to be comutting to uni each day. But I don't want to compromise performance too much for the sake of weight or battery life. and yes, £1000 is my buget. amd or intel? hrm.. which ever is better for my needs.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A friend of mine (who is a professional programmer) just bought himself an Acer Aspire 5024,
    and he's well pleased with it. Paid about £900 I think.

AMD Turion64 CPU
    100Gb HDD
    15.4" WXGA (1280x800)screen with Radeon X700 graphics card
    DL DVD burner

In fact, all the toys you could want except Bluetooth.

6. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

That looks like a good laptop! A lot of the laptops from acer seem to have good specs, however I've been told acer aren't good as a company? Why would this be said?

7. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

I have an Acer Aspire 1522WLMi and love it! Here are the specs:

Aspire 1524WLMi
    # AMD AthlonTM 64 3000+
    # 15.4" WXGA WideScreen Display
    # 512MB DDR
    # 40GB Hard Disk Drive
    # DVD-RW Duel (±)
    # Optional external Floppy Disk Drive
    # 64MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5700
    # Gigabit LAN / 802.11g Wireless LAN
    # Li-lon battery (Up to 3 hours usage)

That might have been said because I have heard Acer have really poor customer support if anything does go wrong. But I still highly reccommend their laptops. Have a look on http://www.shopacer.co.uk

8. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

Yea there's no denying their laptops are good value. I see also that you have gone for a amd64, how well does this do for power? is it as hungry as the mobile pentium versions?

9. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

10. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

no one? :(

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Very nice. That's the shop I bought my laptop from, very pleasant to deal with.

12. ViRuZO

ViRuZO What's a Dremel?

buy a barbone instead of fully complete laptop, it;s much cheaper and you only need to add hdd, ram,cpu(depends on model and your needs). in my case i'd rather save 20% of the cost which i would pay for an hp or ibm, asus, acer or whatever and purchased better characteristics laptop for less money.. that's my advice, because i own barebone and it's fabulous :)

13. ViRuZO

ViRuZO What's a Dremel?

ahmm fujitsu is not very common and popular portable computer, and amd is not a perfect processor for an laptop(eats to much energy-desktop replacement), only if you'll use often ac adaptor, beacuse battery lasts poor

14. Glider

Glider /dev/null

What? Compare this...
    AMD Turion 64 and Intel Mobile Celeron(p59)

I'll sum it up, AMD designs go from 25 to 35W, Intel from 8 to 30, BUT, AMD lists only the max, and Intel overwhelms you with everything they have... If you compare the AMD on the same load level as the Intel 8W one (500MHz), then you'd also be around 8W...

And then again, the AMD has the "northbridge" on the CPU dye, whereas the Intel has it separate on the mobo, and this explains the increased power usage...

So your statement was completely wrong

15. ViRuZO

ViRuZO What's a Dremel?

no i stated about amd in general not particular about amd turion, but to compare older cpu's amd and pentium(M-low voltage), last mentioned cpu has longer working hours(i have one and nveer mind it's my opin....)

16. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Interesting... im helping a friend of mine get their Acer warrantied because there is a problem with their motherboard in it... wont get through bios and it has a years warranty. I called Acer, on hold for 2 mins (thats not bad imo) and then a very friendly helpful chap talked to me, gave me a few things to try, all of which failed, so he gave me a number for the courier service they use. They will be coming with a box to pick it up and repair the laptop under warranty, he guaranteed me it will come back all shiny and working for zero cost.

That doesnt sound ******** to me - lets see how long it takes or whatever, it sounds just as good as every other warranty i have heard of :)

17. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

Yea it would be good to hear what happens with the support. Keep us updated.