1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux 3 monitor support on ubuntu on linux mint?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by isaac12345, 4 Feb 2014.

1. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I am planning to buy a laptop with a vga and hdmi port. I would like to hence use three displays, 2 external and the one on the laptop. Is it possible to do so on the latest version of linux mint or ubuntu?

THanks!

docodine likes this.
  2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I've done dual monitors on ubuntu. I'd say triple monitor would be OK too, although I have no direct experience.

3. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

just a warning i have a laptop with both d-sub and hdmi but can only display on 2 monitors at any one time

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

depends on the laptop. just because it has 2 video outs doesn't mean it necessarily supports output to 2 displays

you may need a multi monitor adapter from evga or matrox (among others). they're not fast though, you'll basically only be able to display text on them (i.e. no games or video)

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

You'll most likely find that using one of the ports for an external display will mean the inbuilt ceases to function - as docodine says, you'll need a USB VGA adapter or the like. Or you could just run the laptop shut and connect two big external displays?