1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 3D Realms reveals new title

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 19 Jun 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

By the time DNF comes out it will look like "pong" compared to other titles that would be releases then...

3. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

:idea: Maybe they're just waiting for DX11.... hehe....

4. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

Well obviously it's called Duke Nukem Forever for a reason. It takes forever to make.

This new one then...Earth No More they say...means that it'll most likely hit the stores and episodic enterprises some time after the apocalypse (not meaning fallout 3).

Good for me I haven't even been waiting for the duke...so do I care if they announce something in two years? not likely =] I'll applaud when it's ready.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is starting to get on my nerves...... in the meanwhile i will play other games :p

6. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

a "whinge"? I assume you mean "whine"?

7. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Yes.

Anyway, who wants to make bets on when this game will ACTUALLY be released? I'm guessing...2012 at least.

8. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

Earth No More eh? Not Duke Nukem Forever and a Day, then

9. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

this is why I quit with their games. I played dn3d so much when it was out that other friends wouldnt play me because we already knew the good camping spots. (yes I am a camper) and since they dropped the ball with dn4evr I just havent had it for them.

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Whinge is pretty much the same thing as whine, must be a UK colloquialism

11. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

a rather garish stab at 3D realms that article was....thought bit-tech was better than this.

12. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

it's a codename for duke :worried:

13. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

3D Realms had it coming. BT definitely didn't disappoint me. :)

14. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

hmm, maybe it's me, but it doesn't really seem much different than any of the news articles Joe's written of late

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Sorry to hear that if it's a critscism, I try to report the facts followed with a bit of my personal opinion and the invitation to hear your thoughts. Maybe I am a bit harsh on 3D realms, but really ten years for one game is too long. It's not like Duke Nukem is particular high-brow, and I say that as an ardent fan of Duke Nukem 3d and Shadow Warrior.

Still, I'm open to address any specific concerns, so feel free to email me at joe.martin@bit-tech.net.

16. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Last I heard they'd scrapped the graphics and started over at least twice, with the most recent engine being one developed relatively recently in-house, which presumably will be used for there other titles also.

Hazarding a guess here I should think at this point DNF if it still exists, has become a sort of internal testing program, where new ideas, concepts, engine work etc goes on untill they think they have something worth making DNF around since I'd think DN3D is a hard act to follow and just trying to make more of the same in a more recent games engine would probably result in a mediocre game that gets dragged through the mud like crazy by the press.

This new one sounds to me like it might have spawned off an idea they liked and/or might be set in a similar world (so assets from the DNF program can be used too)

And yes people whinging about delays gets a bit old :nono:

17. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

Valve pulled it off with HL2 extremely successfully. Personally, I honestly don't understand why 3d Realms isn't milking the utter crap outa Duke Nukem, as there's big bucks to be made!

Ok, lets look at it this way. Pretend I'm the boss of 3d Realms.

"HMM, let me think. How can I make the most profit for my company, with the best return to my share holders, giving the most entertainment and fun to all my 3d realm gaming fans out there... hmmm... let me think... if there's some way..."

Like, honestly. ****. It's not hard. :rolleyes:

18. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

In 4 years we'll probably have the article "Earth No More" - No More".

Personally I don't feel one way of the other about this stuff. It's vapourware until it's on the shelf as far as I'm concerned.

19. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Not really, half-life was a game about shooting people/aliens and occasionally jumping or pushing some buttons, half-life 2 was a game about using physics and the environment to your advantage whilst also shooting people. Also driving vehicles and leading teams of soldiers and fighting with/vs a lot better AI and advanced facial techniques to put real emotion into the characters - definetely a lot more to it.

DN3D was just the shooting and pushing buttons for that matter, jumping for the most part came later :hehe: that and naked women who were so pixelated as to be gotten away with for the most part. They will really have to go some to make a game a big success - especially with the automatic 18+/21+ certificate you can be sure it would get with more modern graphics on those ladies ..

20. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

YES !!!

surely its getting to the point now with DNF, without them charging £200 a copy, their gonna end up making a loss, 10 years of developers costs (plus licensing what, 2 engines ?)

Tags: Add Tags