1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 3D Realms sued for copyright infringement

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, at least they're asking for a sensible amount of money in damages. $150k is fairly reasonable.

If 3DRealms really did steal the idea, they deserve all they get for being so stupid. Did they really think they could get away with not even bothering to change the name of the game?

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Because the name is exactly the same, and apparently the game is very similer, I'm almost inclined to believe that 3D Realms didn't do it on purpose, I mean you'd have to be a retarted flea dropping to think you could get away with it. Maybe they genuinly forgot different team had approached them. It could be someone from 3D Realms met with Cinemagraphix (Crtl-C, Ctrl-V), dismissed them, then passed on the idea of the game to a superior (who was unaware of Cinemagraphix), then subsequently left. 3D Realms would have no idea the idea for the game was stolen.

4. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

let me get this straight, they are getting money taken off them and how is this going to aid/speed up production of duke forever?

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think this is a plot to make publicity..... i mean... what is the best publicity? look at hot coffee, lots of people learned about hot coffee because of media coverage of the ridiculous thing...

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Agreed, but there are usually all sorts of weird release contracts and such you have to sign before pitching ideas to large companies - exactly for this reason.

7. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

well.. if they are suing over DNF They are a bit out there as DNF has been in development for ages. I seriously doubt they have a case here

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Read the article.

9. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Maybe someone over at 3DRealms has Cryptomnesia (look it up on wikipedia). I myself have had a few case where I picked something up but not paying any attention to it, and afterwards believing I had thought of it.
    In 3DR's case that may become a quiet costly prank of someone's subconscious though.

10. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

To quote the press release:

In the game, "a growth of deadly red vines and mutating spores have overtaken the world, perverting whatever they encounter."

So, in other news, the Estate of H.G.Wells is also suing for $umpteen-million, as this idea was clearly "Stolen" from his book "The War of the Worlds": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_weed

11. Major

Major Guest

About stealing ideas.

I thought about the plug + roller on most Lawnmowers years before they came out, could of made a mint. :(

12. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

WTF THE estate of of HG WELLS... how many years has he been dead for! :O

Tags: Add Tags