1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 56k sharing on X-over LAN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nikbj68, 25 Jan 2002.

1. nikbj68

nikbj68 What's a Dremel?

Ok, We got a Celeron 433 running Win98 & an AMDXP1800+ Running Win XP. The Modem is in the 433, Wot do i need to get net access on the XP1800+ ? The Lan works Just fine. (I`m learning Counterstrike.....slowly, with an "Expert" on the Lan, I`m learning lying on my side & Free-look mode VERY quickly!:eek: )

Any help much appreciated.

2. boycee

boycee What's a Dremel?

but the modem in the 1800XP for a start and have the 433 share off the 1800. then run

Internet connection sharing, once you find this its easy.
    Finding it is usually the hard part.

I just set up a ICS over my 2 pc;s earlier to day,works great.

3. nikbj68

nikbj68 What's a Dremel?

THanx, Boycee.Sadly, putting modem in XP M/c is not an option,the phone line is bad enough as it is, without extending it halfway round the house again. (I got 30m of cat5 cable "surplus!!")plus, the Celeron is accessible by the whole Family, the XP is only used by 1 person & this means TRUBBLE!
    The ICS settings seem OK to me, I`m using UNEX ND01X cards, if that has anything to do with it???

4. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

You're running windows 98 SE in that 433 celeron right?

Have you configured the XP box to route via the 433?

5. nikbj68

nikbj68 What's a Dremel?

Hi Moose,(Glad we`re taliking:D :D )....No it`s just win98. I do have a brand new copy of SE which was bought for a job that didn`t happen. That fix it you think?
    Not sure about the routing of the XP, someone is still in bed, so I can`t check it yet!!!

6. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

lol, course :)

Well, so far as I remember if you're gonna be sharing the connection via ICS, which is drop dead easy, then slap on Win98 SE to the 433 box - 98SE comes with ICS built in.

Once you've got that running, it should be easier to get the XP box to use the connection - it might be worth looking up the internal windows help on ICS - but if I remember correctly, when I shared win98SE/win2k about a year ago, I just set IE to 'automatically detect settings' in the lan configuration - then within the properties of the network card, set up the IP of the 433 box as the gateway. Oh, and while I remember, make sure the XP box hasnt been asigned an IP address, and is running on DHCP - else it pain just wont work :)

Those network cards of yours should be fine mate.

Hope people wake up sometime, so you can get it all working :D

7. nikbj68

nikbj68 What's a Dremel?

I`m gonna hammer on the door right now!!!!:rofl: THanks for that, I`ll let you know how we get on!

8. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

lol! :D

Good luck :)

Tags: