1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding airbrush

Discussion in 'Modding' started by merlin 65, 12 Dec 2006.

1. merlin 65

merlin 65 What's a Dremel?

got me an airbrush for christmas and i was wondering if any of you guys know of a good place in the u.k to get paint for it , cheap too . i,ve looked around and found one place but i wanted more choice , i dont mind buying abroad so long as the shipping aint gonna kill me

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Any hoppy supplier eg. Tamiya dealer or the ones that stock humbrol paints will do... just remember that you need either water based colours or enough thinner to make it the consistency like low fat milk.. and if you use thinner paint outside or wear a mask... thinner isnt good for yer brains

3. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Actually, any art store would have some appropriate paints. If you don't like any of the ready made paints, acrylic paint will work too if you use a thinner. Liquitex (spelling?) sells some airbrush fluid to mix with their medium viscosity acrylic paints.

4. merlin 65

i,ve heard to and im gonna try it , that using screen wash to thin acrylic is very good . im wondering if i can use normal house paint in them too if its acrylic based or enamel and thinnned down enough . cos if you could thats a big save on cash , with house paint being cheaper

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Look at hobby / model railroad stores for Badger Accuflex paints. They're water based paints that you can use straight out of the bottle without thinning. For metalics try the Testors line, but you will need thinner for those.

6. merlin 65

on the subject of acrylics , can i use the tube versions (paste) if mixed with the correct thinners , cos i know a place where i can get loads of it at a very good price

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

The tube past might be good depending on its viscosity. I've got heavy body tube paints and those would require a lot of thinking. I have more freely flowing stuff from the same company in little bottles which works when thinned slightly with their airbrush medium as I mentioned before.

Er... I'm not as to if housepaints can be used or not. Surely you can use them with a paintgun so there might not be a reason why you can't use em here. It depends on what kind of airbrush you have. For a $30 brush, yea, try anything. For a $130 brush, I'd be a little more careful as to what you flow through it.

8. merlin 65

thats what i was thinking , cos i,ve only just started i got cheap brushes . that way i can try whatever really from inks to any paints , as for the tube paints they are thick an would require a lot of thinning i think , but they are real cheap and from airbrush site reading it does seem possible and a lot of em quote using either windex or screen wash to thin acrylic and make it travel better so im gonna give that a go too . i would say though if anyone is thinking or wants a good starting airbrush , check out RDG tools cos the compressor is not too bad for the price and a great way to get into it on the cheap

9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Try looking at some Valejo paints, they do a range that is especially made thinner for use in airbrushes