1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD commits to socketed CPU future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Dec 2012.

1. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

yes but i also updated everything.. but i had a choice of getting a fast cpu and mid motherboard and expensive GPU... now u might have to fork out alot more for the top cpu cos im sure they gonna stick it to a top motherboard with all the extra on the mboard u might not want or need. 32gig space for ram, button to boost slots what have u... ummm no, i want mid motherboard so i have enough money for the cpu and GPU thanks.

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

So AMD rush to make guarantees on something rumoured that hasn't even been confirmed by Intel yet!

Same ol' AMD marketing spin.

'AMD has a long history of supporting the DIY and enthusiast desktop market with socketed CPUs and APUs that are compatible with a wide range of motherboard products from our partners,'

Except the DIY and enthusiast desktop market hasn't supported AMD during that 'long history' as there wasn't a good enough AMD product to use bar AMD64 which was how many years ago now but AMD fanboys still try to cling to?

3. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

My first few computer builds were AMD all the way. However since I got back into into this wallet meltingly expensive hobby I have been unable to justify buying a cpu from them, and this is coming from a self declared fanboy. If the gap in processing ability continues what is the enthusiast market going to do, go for a better CPU and it be a pain to upgrade, or get a second rate energy inefficient product? (especially if we see new ram come out, or a new sata or pci or....... which of course will mean we have to fork out for another cpu and mb).

4. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Were you able to choose the exact mobo you wanted when you bought your CPU? BGA will severely limit your choice of mobo in the future, that's that bad part. Manufacturers won't be willing to risk offering more variety on motherboards if they're forced to solder specific CPUs to them.

But like others are saying, if either part goes bad you'll be forced to purchase a new board. You see this same thing in the laptop world with the GPU being soldered to the board. If that GPU goes out, you're pretty much forced to purchase a new board or, if it's just a solder issue, pay to have it resoldered (aka BGA reball) which can get expensive.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I really care if I cant change the cpu or whatever, but I imagine things will be cheaper combined and I hate putting the cpu in the socket anyway :{. What I prefer is performance which intel seems to be leading in at the moment.

6. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

One problem, AMD doesn't have a competitive CPU... Nevermind that though, keep sticking server CPUs into laptops and desktops that don't need 8 concurrent threads.

7. Kastagir

Kastagir What's a Dremel?

I agree with your points, I was only expressing my indifference.

If technological advances in CPU architecture require that future CPU's are bolted to the motherboard, then I for one welcome it. Even at the cost of choice.

Lets face it, there must be a market for interchangeable CPU's, else the major players would not offer them. IF Intel were to move to this new system, it would most likely be borne of necessity, rather than them biting off their noses..

On the subject of hardware failure: Since moving to solid state, I can categorically state that the only hardware failure I have had in recent memory is a PSU failure. Maybe I'm just lucky?

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So the industry moves in one direction (Arm + Intel) and AMD moves in the opposite direction.

Soon enough AMD will not only have the inferior option they'll have it in a packaging that none of the OEMs can fit into their product line up because of it's physical space + power + heat requirements.

Not that it'll bother me much. Haven't owned an AMD proc in a loooong time.

9. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

YES!

AMD Cheesecake!

10. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

AMD behind the scenes
    "lets go BGA like intel and save some costs, try get more oem deals too."
    "how much will that cost to re-tool the fabs?"
    "0.5 billion but we'll save more in long run"
    "if we spend that then we have to shed another 10% of staff - that means you"
    "AMD commits to sockets forever!!"

11. rollo

rollo Modder

wont make a blind bit of difference to the future or lack of for AMD.

AMD needs to hit a killer product that is not only fast but good on power.

Recent AMD GPU products have followed the nvidia 480 mode. ultra fast ultra hot ultra noisy and very energy heavy. 7970 at reference sounds like a aircraft at takeoff.

There cpu products have not been competitive since the AMD 64 era or late FX60 chip. Since Core 2 Duo was released intel have had a sizeable lead in both power and speed.

If you take the 2 top end cpus from both manufactures the difference in performance is insane. Yes i know there is a cost difference but your getting double or tripple the cpu if your doing video work or anything that can use the 6c6t that the 3960k offers. Performance in the business sector where that sort of cpu is required Time = money.

AMD are not doing this because they simply dont have 0.5billion spare to do this with. 3 more quaters of losses and AMD are facing bankrupt that is the simple facts.

Without the 1bil Intel give AMD we would be already be writing AMDS death notice.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Intel are allready making BGA server chips - broadwell will be BGA ... as the industry move to ARM (as AMD are going in that direction) - intel are stuck with X86

Last edited: 6 Dec 2012
  13. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

the low end amd cpus are anything but power hungry. apus have an acceptable power draw for a processor, and they include a decent level of graphics along with that.... and while you may argue that intel includes graphics as well, you have to note the "decent level" part of my statement. Anyway, while the, RUMORED,10w cpus would be very impressive, it still doesnt change the fact that amds processors go everywhere from low to high on current power draw standards.

Im a confessed amd fanboy, and one fanboy to another i will tell you that just because you love a company, it doesnt give you leeway to ignore the facts present in reality. So prior to ranting about what you read in your intel fanboy news letters, please make sure to get some statistics, and fact check to at least the level fox news does.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Market place for CPUs is getting smaller by the year. At the low end profits are close to none existant so intel has never competed to get that market. There I3 Cpus are still as fast as any AMD Cpu in single threaded applications.

AMD makes good low end CPUs the problem is, Companys like Dell do not sell alot of AMD product to there millions of customers.

AMD have lost the critical server market where profits are still high and rising.

Enthusaist market is less than 1% and is not worth discussion.

You have 2 markets for cash.

Mass consumer driven dell lenova ect all fighting for the consumer basic pc box.
    Server High end performance is key along with power effiency and heat produced.

Intel acording to latest released sales figures now accounts for 90% of all server market related purchases, which pushed intel to a nice profit.

Sales of Consumer CPUs continue to fall due to most high end nations in a recession still and refusing to spend money on needless products.

There GPU devision sales break down reads for the last 4 quaters

Break Even
    -26mil
    Break Even
    +26mil

In that time AMD lost 820million dollars. Intel Give them 1billion dollars or we would not be discussing there next product release as they simply would not exist. ( without Intels cash AMD made a net loss of 1.75billion dollars)

aka its break even for the year. AMDs Purchase of ATI has yet to make Break even ( they paid 4billion dollars for ATI.)

Power Draw is relivent to 1 market place and its the market that AMD must fight to get back or they will cease to exist. The server market demands High Performance Low power usage.

AMD does not have a chip that fits this requirement currently.

Personally id prefer AMD survived wether it will happen or not i am not sure. I have owned about 10 AMD products in the last 8 years or so. 3 intel.

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

16. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Why would intel give their competitors 1 billion??

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

18. rollo

rollo Modder

The intel cash is for fines I think in relation to something no real clue I just know intel give AMD 1bil uncontested.