1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches Phenom and Spider

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Nov 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Is there an AMD chipset without IGP but just does something brilliant?

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

weeeeeeee :D

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

anyone seen one for sale anywhere yet?

5. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

Nope, haven't seen any around yet. Maybe they will hit retailers tomorrow? I've read some of the reviews about and phenom doesn't look like it will be competitive against intel at the speeds AMD are releasing them. HardOCP overclocked the phenom upto 3ghz and it was just about competitive with the Q6600. I'd like to see how overclockable the final processors are because the reviews Ive read were engineering samples and overclockability were a mixed bag.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

From Anatech, The Phenom 2.6Ghz is near the same level as the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz...
    So, let's wait for the Phenom 2.8Ghz and it should pass the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz, and would be cheaper, as we know AMD.

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

i think Vadim have some of these...

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

there going to be really hard to find

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

if CrossfireX allows for me to start w/ 2 video cards (same family) upfront and then add 2 more (or 1 at a time depending on budget) from a newer family w/ more capabilities than the other family, then I'm going AMD because that says to me that they are looking out for our dollars. I don't want to have to be stuck w/ having to replace my older cards that I spent a pretty penny on not long ago (SLI).....I spoke to Tim about it and he said he was going to look into it...hopefully by this summer I will have this question, along with multiple others answered because I hate monopolies and I will always be shooting for the underdog, it's just whether the underdog is looking out for my interests as well.....if so then I know where my fun money is going....

10. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Personally, I would rather have this with SLi compatibility. 2 8800GT's will wipe the floor with any ATI/AMD card, and come in cheaper too.

The other thing I'd like to see is Matrox-Style "Surround Gaming", with 2 8800s, one providing the front view, and the second providing the two side views.

11. centy

centy DFI Nutter

How does a single monitor provide two side views? Surround gaming doesn't work with only two monitors since your crosshair or the centre of the screen ends up at the outer edge of each of the monitors.

12. JumpingJack

JumpingJack What's a Dremel?

Dude, these are the final processors... this is a launch event.

13. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

:duh: I stand corrected. I saw the image of AMD's overdrive app on anandtech's coverage and it said "AMD Engineering Sample", so...thought that it might be engineering samples :/

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

More interestingly, unlike the Intel Core 2's I think you could run two Phenoms on one board. Eight cores... hmmmm... :brrr:

15. JumpingJack

JumpingJack What's a Dremel?

Yeah, Anand did not trek to the dog and pony show, see page 3 of his review:
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3153&p=3

There are only a few sites with their own CPUs, most of the reviews generated the data from AMD's tahoe excursion, arstechnica published a commentary here:
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-out-of-the-gate-to-a-lukewarm-reception.html

16. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

I'm disappointed. Pure and simple.

17. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

The geek collective took a deep breath and uttered one single word as one:

"Meh"

18. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Oh AMD, why do you crush my hopes yet again? I want the heyday of Athlon 64 back.

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i await for bit's review

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I still can't wait to get a hold of one though. Since we don't know when one will arrive I'll have to be reviewing 790FX boards with normal AM2 CPUs in them for now - at least now you'll see the difference between AM2 and AM2+ as a direct drop in replacement since it's socket compatible :) And we'll finally get some AMD boards done again - I can't believe I've literally done about 3 or 4 in the last year :|

Having said that too, an Intel X9770 turned up on Friday :D So we'll be having fun with that as well this week (once I've finished certain Maximii)

Tags: Add Tags