1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews AMD Radeon VII Review: Seventh Son or Seventh Sin?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Feb 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Interesting that AMD seem to be still pushing the DX12 approach the same as Vega. Not sure if the DX12 performance for what seems like poor DX11 results is worth the trade off with the limited amount of DX12 titles.

so when will I be getting my jet engine card?

Last edited: 7 Feb 2019
    The_Crapman likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Isn't it DX12 AMD are trying to use to make an equivalent to DLSS?

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

AMD are trying to use the open features of DX12 to implement propriety features nvidia have implemented. IMO it's the best way to do things. Just look at freesync. It's £200 cheaper and close enough. AMD have actually had real time ray tracing before.

adidan likes this.
  5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Seems to be a lot of hate going around comment sections, don't know why - we all should have known what the outcome would be.

And to be honest, compared to Vega 64, it's actually pretty impressive... just don't try and compare it to anything Pascal (and Turing to a lesser extent).

The push with DX12 is probably more down to next-gen console adoption?

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It can’t match Nvidia’s fines

Oh I bet it can't ! (last page typo under conclusion). Thanks muchly for the review :)

7. MLyons

That's a good point actually, hadn't thought about that. I wonder if this card is really efficient under volted like the vega cards are.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Disappointed to hear we're not expecting redesigned coolers anytime soon, from breakdowns of the card, noise and thermals, it seems AMD really dropped the ball with that cooler.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I wonder if these cards are in short supply not because they're binned Vega 20s that failed to make the grade for Instinct cards, but instead are the handful of top binned Vega 20s that can handle being hot-clocked.
    Between the cooler and package is a thermal pad. Not paste, a pad. Likely to head off the issues with the Vega cards having different package heights, which was a major headache for OEMs. Gamersnexus found that cooler-to-die contact was exceptionally poor and inconsistent with the pad removed.

10. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Anyone else disappointed by the power consumption of this 7nm GPU?

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Honestly thats AMD for years, Power Consumption has been off the wall. Its priced competively ( For todays world of prices ) Performs well enough and offers enough for most AMD fans to buy it. My main concern will be the noise of the cooler. I am no AMD fan but this is not a bad card. And If I was in the market for a card would not be too far away if the bundles are good.

12. MLyons

annoying to say the least. If your PC is within a ft or 2 then i would advise headphones

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering that it is by this point basically a medieval architecture and given AMDs habit of "give Vega all the volts" it was to be expected.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, I saw a picture on Hard OCP where you could clearly see the height difference between the packages. They also tested by applying some TIM and then seeing how it spread out when the cooler was re-attached and it didn't look great.

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I thought the cooler looked crap when I watched the gn teardown the other day, the fans occupy most of the space where the fins should be. There's hardly any surface area on it at all! Shame because performance looks alright otherwise.

Also well done devdoge for pitching in!

MLyons likes this.
  16. rollo

rollo Modder

so every pc ever? lol

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea the poor contact was what i was referring to as the graphite pad isn't really that bad, it's been show the z height effects thermals way more than how effective the thermal solution is, the Gamers Nexus video is where i picked up on how bad (uneven) the cooler is.

It's like AMD outsourced the manufacturing of the cooler and whoever made it presented them with something that resembles the pyrenees and AMD just said "yea, that'll do".

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I think the voltage thing is more aimed at the professional sector that many buy AMD gpus for. I found out yesterday that the R7 basically has all of the good stuff intact, making their instinct cards a bad buy. So I think they are pitching R7 at both gamers and pros. And in the pro market it needs to be stable, even when it is being completely hammered, hence the volts.

Once they sort out the drivers and overclocking it will be a very simple procedure to lower the volts and make it game stable. That was the first thing I did with my 64. But aye, the drivers are truly horrific ATM. On OC3D the 64 beat the R7 in BFV.

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Whether the hardware is similar or not, surely one of the selling points of the pro cards is the pro driver support? You're paying for that as much as the actual hardware, so pros will continue to buy Instinct cards for that reason.

Tags: Add Tags