1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD supercomputer tops TOP500 list

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

I really have an opinion on this, I just wanted to try and turn this into a COD slating thread like all the others on bit-tech.

will it run COD6? what resolution will it have? Can we use one as a COD dedicated server? will all these cores bring back "lean"?

224,162 cores? thats 12453 cores per person connected based on a 9v9 game.

does the Jaguar-Cray XT5-HE support micro transactions for map and gun packs???

:p

3. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

no opinion that was meant to be! :-0

4. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Yep and 9 out of every 10 of the top 500 are running linux.

5. salesman

salesman Minimodder

Now when they say low price point I am assuming like several thousand right?

6. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

LOL... what?? on Windows??
    that's funny.

yeah, im also curious with their definition of lowpricepoint for supercomputers...

7. Nicholas

Nicholas What's a Dremel?

ummm yeah one thing -

more intel than amd right?

well we just need more companies to sue intel for a billion $ a pop for monopolizing - dont remember if it was a billion but it was up there - didnt they just get sued? maybe we just need this trend to keep going because i personally like AMD better :D

oh yeah
    im tired of seeing just main processors like this - DO SOMETHING WITH THE GRAPHICS PROCESSORS! I wouldnt mind a super graphics card that can keep up!!

8. trig

trig god's little mistake

sort of a rip from first post...but...

ok, but can it run crysis?

9. TheUn4seen

TheUn4seen What's a Dremel?

Top 3 belong to AMD, fourth is PowerPC based and Intel is far behind. It was always obvious that Intel is simply unable to create a real CPU, even older Opterons can be faster than newest Xeons in professional usage scenarios. Just look at simple SQL comparisons where a 1.8Ghz 45W Opteron is at least as fast than a 3.2GHz 125W Xeon. i7 is fast in games and multimedia, but when real performance comes to mind, no one with a right mind would choose Xeon without being paid to do so - and that's the only reason Intel holds the majority.

Also: Windows ona a cluster? The ultimate idiocy. The only reason can be cost-cutting as Novell and SuSE can be really expensive to use on a cluster, but using Windows cripples the performance badly, so it's a real nonsense. The only supercomputers to ever use Windows (there were like what, five of them in top100?) were all co-funded by Microsoft ;)

10. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Intel sucks, they lost a lawsuit against AMD, they are now being sued by the U.S. Government, and AMD has the top 3 spots for worlds fastest computers and to top it off they have released some new CPU's but haven't lowered the price of the Core i7. Jerks.

Any way 80% of the 500 best supercomputers are Intel well that's like 80% of the worlds vehicles are Chevy's Ford's Toyota's and Fiat's so who cares!

I want the the top 3 AMD or a Nissan Skyline Ferrari or Lamborghini

Supercomputer huh? But can it run Crysis? Maxed out settings with 4x AA at 60 FPS at 1920 X 1080p? I bet you it can't. (Cause Crysis is an unoptimized piece of crap)

Therefore those top three supercomputers should be used for COD MW2 dedicated servers and all those Intel employees about to laid off can be hired in as Dedicated server Admins and if those Supercomputers are really super then a lean function will be added to the game.
    Those other 80% Intel computers should be used for Folding @ Home.

Why make a FPS w/ no LEAN. If your getting shot at you usually hide behind something lean out and shoot back. I guess they want players to line up out in the open, reload your guns at the same time then wait for someone to say "fire". Intel sucks Ifinity Ward sucks DRM sucks.

I'm gonna sue Intel for allowing MW2 to be made without a lean function but w/ DRM (that obviously doesn't work).

Then I'm gonna sue Intel for allowing pirated copies of game to work with their cpu's and motherboards.

Then I'm gonna sue Intel for copyright infringement for that bommm bom bom bom thing they do. My music teacher made that sound accidently on a drum machine 30 years ago.

Why is there no lean in MW2? Why are there no dedicated servers? Why are there 500 supercomputers? Who are the evil geniuses controlling them? Can any of those supercomputers talk? Is one of there name HAL? Have any of those supercomputers found a cure for cancer? Isn't really the first place supercomputer really the only supercomputer because it's the fastest one and the others are just superhero sidekicks?

11. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Please leave your hats, coats, and fanboyism at the door.

Tags: Add Tags