1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Annoying Memory Leak

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darkwisdom, 1 Sep 2016.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I have a memory leak as far as I'm aware. I have Windows 10 64 Bit, with 8GB of Memory as I should anyway.

MY problem is this - The task manager only recognises 5GB of the 8GB as available, With nearly 3 of it 'Cached'. I know memory is supposed to be cached to save for high impact applications, but When I try a game, it doesn't free up the memory - the game uses memory on top of that cache. I've looked on the Performance monitor and that doesn't show the problem.

Any ideas? It's kind of annoying. I've tried setting the NDU to 4 in the registry as it can use a lot of memory, but to no avail. As it is I'm running out of memory just playing the Battlefield 1 beta on LOW.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Are you using firefox?

Because the memory leak in that (even the new Beta) is bloody impressive. Yesterday, mine hit 3GB of memory usage after running idle for a couple of hours with a few tabs open.

3. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Have you tried disabling Superfetch (in services window)?
    Or just buy more ram, 8G is simply not enough for a gaming rig.

Isn't it just a normal memory usage for FF :D?

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Xlog - I've spotted a few snarky remarks from you recently - and it's not really true to say '8G is simply not enough for a gaming rig'.

Play nicely please. Thanks.

5. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Sorry if I came that way, I'll try to tone it down from now on.

On why I said that 8G is not enough - thats in minimum range for BF1 and majority of other AAA game coming out this year. If recommended specs are to be believed (from other frostbite titles - battlefront, mirrors edge) - you need 16G of ram (and prob a better CPU, seeing as i3-3220 falls under min req) to utilise GTX970.

6. Darkwisdom

I can be snarky too. Some people don't have the money to go out and get a new CPU or some more RAM. In fact, our Washing Machine just packed up - so I probably won't be able to upgrade anything for another year at least, this month was probably the only time I could've, and now it's gone.

So say something constructive, or bugger off.

Nah, I'm using Chrome. I know that's a memory hog as well, but I don't even leave anything open whilst the Beta is running and I'm still getting problems. I'm pretty sure my CPU is limiting it a lot as well.

Sigh.. I need an upgrade I'll never afford. Crappy i3.

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

When does the leak appear? When you first turn on the pc?

On my system, I've noticed a windows memory leak if i search explorer. I'm not sure of it's everywhere or just certain folders. I also know that battlefield 3&4 both had memory leaks for me on my amd card, but im fairly sure nvidia users reported having the same issue. So it could be that rearing it's ugly head again.

8. Darkwisdom

It's using about 30% memory all the time, even idle with nothing open.

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

10. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

^ Very much this! RAMMap will even let you clear out various sets/lists if needed, which might be of some help too.
    Pretty shocked to see that 8GB is actually listed as the minimum for the BF1 beta, though. Crazy times.