1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding anodised metal

Discussion in 'Modding' started by merlin 65, 31 May 2006.

1. merlin 65

merlin 65 What's a Dremel?

could someone give me some advice on anodised aluminium ive heard you cant spray it is this true , but i have also heard that if you put household oven cleaner over it this removes anodisation is this true also

2. MrMacomouto

MrMacomouto What's a Dremel?

You can just sand it off if you don't like it, I don't see why you couldn't spray it but try a test patch first...

Oven cleaner MIGHT remove it but it could also leave some pretty bad stains on the metal, a few drops of HCL (High Concentration) got onto my polished side panel and totally destroyed it...

3. merlin 65

cheers for that i'll try it out ive just got sick of the wavemaster case now and want to try my hand at spraying and the wife wants to try airbrush art we'll have to see eh

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Anodinsing isn't a paint, or indeed anything that that you can spray on. You may be able to get something that looks and feels like it, but it wont be it. Proper anodising involves bathing it in acid, and feeding electric current through it to promote oxidisation. That's essentially what the anodised layer is: Corrosion.. but done in a controlled, even manner. This corrosion layer can then be left as it is, or dyed various colours by boiling the alluminium in a dying solution.

clickety click

5. pingthepiratehobo

pingthepiratehobo What's a Dremel?

err.... he's not talking about spraying something to anodize it, i'm pretty what was meant is that you cannot spray-paint onto anodized aluminum.
    i can't see any problem with painting it, so long as you rough it up a bit first - might hold up a bit better to sandpaper than untreated alu, but anything'll get through eventually

6. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

aluminum by nature is pretty porous and deep anodization tends to close up the pores somewhat making primer stick a little worse. but lucky for you annodization only goes too about 5-12/1000ths of an inch thick so it can be sanded off,or sandblasted. I'm not sure of the possibility of any sort of acid etching or pickling to clean it, but I would stick to the more simple hand sanding or orbital sanding methods. then just primer and paint as normal

7. SpleenBeGod

SpleenBeGod What's a Dremel?

Annodizing is the procces of oxidizing aluminum with acid and an electrical current. level 3 anno is extreamly durable, we use it on most paintball markers.

DIY guide http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=355794

I can also give you a few sites that do paintball markers, if you ask them they may do computer parts, but i know it can cost anywere between $60-$400 U.S. for a paintball marker.

8. merlin 65

i need to start typing clearer i know anodization isnt paint , i just wanted to know if i could paint over anodized metal with spray paint , but i got me answer to that one even though i dont want to start sanding it as it is brushed and i though it was a great surface for paint straight away but hey if you got to do it you got to do it

9. SpleenBeGod

SpleenBeGod What's a Dremel?

yes, you can paint over it, and as far as aitbrushing goes, if you get it when it still accepts dye, the airbrushing will be part of it

10. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

isn't a wavemaster brushed aluminium :confused:

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

My bad.. didn't read it properly.

So far as I know, you can paint it, but it may not adhere very well. In order to make it adhere properly, as with any smooth surface, you may have to "key" it with 1200 grade paper first.

12. merlin 65

yes but its also anodised as far as i know