1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Another PC World Fart - Thrustmaster Wheel :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LennyRhys, 14 Oct 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I went to PC world yesterday with £40 cash to buy something - anything - that took my fancy. I came across the Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience racing wheel, and to my bewilderment there were two prices: £39 and £49. Immediately I knew they would have to sell it for £39, but I didn't know which price was current, so I took the wheel to the desk and the not-so-thrilled sales assistant said with a most glum face:

"We have to give it to you for £39, but it is actually £49 - somebody forgot to take away the old price ticket."

A smile of smug satisfaction filled my entire face :D

£10 is not a huge saving by any means, but I found it funny that the sales assistant was clearly annoyed that I got the wheel for less than I should have LOL. Gotta love PC world.

I went to B&Q on the way home, picked up some chipboard for a couple of quid, and knocked up a stand so I can use the wheel with our Bravia and my state of the art dining room chair authentic bucket seat. The result: more time wasted in front of the TV. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Bungletron likes this.
  2. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

ha ha. thats funny as hell.

And im a joiner nice work with the chip board, clean cuts:lol:

3. Black Tiger

Black Tiger Chineapple Punks

N64.... sweeeeet

4. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

Awesome job, it's definitely fun getting things check in any shop let alone there. Very much loving the stand too, if I had the space I'd probably knock up something like that too might make it a bit more fun.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Cheers - borrowed my bro's circular saw, so really it's more the tools than the tradesman in this case :D

6. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

now sand it down get some black plasty coat spray from B&Q, spray it and iron or glue on some black edging strip and your laughing.

7. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Sweet!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the chip board come to? Thinking of doing something similar.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

A tip when buying wood or board (including MDF) from a hardware store: always buy offcuts if you can, because they are insanely cheap. I got about 1m square for 50 pence (no joke) and I also had some surplus at home which cost £1 for at least 1.5m square.

Offcuts are often in pristine condition with clean cut edges, but they are technically classed as damaged which is why they have to be sold so cheap. In fact one time the sales assistant couldn't be bothered scanning through all my MDF so he gave it to me for free :D

9. shah

shah Minimodder

Excellent :D.. Can't stop laughing. Good work with the stand.

10. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

When I have bought boards from B+Q they have cut down the boards for me, but made me pay the full price of the sheet and I had to take the offcuts with me :(

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Dang - that's tight! maybe it depends on specific stores, but our local store has a huge bucket at the back beside their wall mounted saw and it is usually full of offcuts, some very large (including big pieces of kictchen worktops lol).

Moar pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Sweet stand, now I know what to do with all that left over chip board in the garage.

13. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Sales assistants really do not care the one I often see is those self check outs in supermarkets, the old 'Unexpected item in bagging area, please wait for assistance' where the bored looking teenager then ambles up and overrides robot till regardless of whats in the bag.

Some cashiers are so gormless I imagine you could probably cover up the bar codes and stand by the till saying 'boop' every time an item went by and they would just let you walk out.

BTW I am loving your steering column ghetto mod, I think you should send a copy of that photo to ferrari headquarters or Top Gear! :thumb:

Ficky Pucker likes this.
  14. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Heck show it to Morgan, they'll probably give you a job making their cars.

15. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Hahaha, awesome dude :).

16. Kiliv

Kiliv What's a Dremel?

lol i shall have to try that at some point ^_^

17. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

dude i was gon buy that wheel, whats it like in all honesty? is it too sensitive or just right?

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's very nice for the money - if you find it too sensitive you can easily change the sensitivity in the control panel. The rubber grips on the wheel feel very nice and the build quality is good... nothing shakes or moves where it shouldn't. Overall I'm very impressed. :)

19. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

thats a pretty decent photo lol. nice focus

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

No gear shift knob (sequential or h-shift) makes me :(