1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Apple G5 H2O edition {FINISHED 95%}

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jelle46, 14 Feb 2009.

1. Jelle46

Jelle46 Belgium

Hi, I'm Jelle and I'm from Belgium. I'm new on this site, but Some may know me from casejunkies.com, where I have been around for almost a year now. There I allready had a CIP, but there wasn't much respone, therefore I give it a second life here. Tell me what honestly what you think about it.

The first part is from the beginning, back in September, when I started this mod:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the pictures that the previous owner send me when I bought the case, quite standard, isn't it? :D

[​IMG]
    Here, I took it apart for a good cleaning, everyone who did this on a G5 knows how hard it is! :wallbash:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I made my cutout :dremel: for the 360 rad that I wanted to put in there, later I noticed that a full ATX motherboard would never fit in there with the 360 rad, so that was my biggest mistake:duh:, maybe I would try to fit it all, but it will be tricky!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I fitted my aquacomputer reservoir in the side, some fans may hate me for this, but I really like it! :thumb:

[​IMG]

This is the current setup, with the smaller rad, only the MB tray has been lowered and the power supply has moved to the top.

Today's pictures:

[​IMG]
    The new rear of the case

[​IMG]
    The empty inside

[​IMG]
    When I'm working I always want everything I need in sight, I has been even worser! ;)

The setup that's going in it:

[​IMG]
    E8400

[​IMG]
    Asus Maximus Formula, I had the chance to buy it second handed very cheap, so I took it :D

[​IMG]
    Silverstone 750W modular

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Other stuff I ordered for it.

+ a few harddrives
    + 8GB OCZ RAM (4GB already in the house, see the picture of the MB, 4GB is coming my way)
    +Club3D 4870 1GB OC, also coming my way
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading, I will try to update this Cip as much as I can, hopefully you like it and please, tell me your thoughts honestly, I'm still a novice in modding :dremel::worried::dremel:
    Also tips and hints are very welcome!!!

See, I mean read you soon!!

Last edited: 22 Aug 2009
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Seriously! Where do you people find these cases.:hehe:
    This looks really clean so far. I'm bumping your thread because the other G5 converters obviously didn't visit this weekend.:D

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Sneaked in on me too! I will watch. I like to see G5s modded.

john

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Good job on the mod so far!

LOL. I'll admit I keep an eye on Craigslist locally hoping to come across one... ;)

5. tomcatt

tomcatt WoodWoodWood

whoei ! another modder from Belgium :p
    Nice work so far ... I followed your work on casejunkies a bit as well

keep on modding m8 ! ;)

6. b00mb1ast3r

b00mb1ast3r Testdrive unlimited LoVeR

cool mod i have allways like the g5.
    great work so far im guessing this is going to be great

7. Nooby4Ever

Nooby4Ever 2 left hands

Ah , nice to see a Belgium guy (I'm from Belgium to), 2 years ago i was fond of that case but bought a simular one.

I hope it turns out in something beautiful, c ya till the next update =)

8. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Keep these G5s coming. :) They are a bloody pain to take apart aren't they?! I see you have also discovered how small it really is inside! Could you not mount the PSU where you have the HDD rack and place them somewhere else? That would let you use the 360 Rad.

Nice clean cuts in the base for that Rad and the silver res. fits in nicely with the case. The back is always the pain with G5s when trying to fit PC components in there.

Cyp.

9. Jelle46

Jelle46 Belgium

That's what I came up with this weekend, the only thing is that I will have to squees it between mij MB's Mosfet block and the other side of the case, but I will try as much as I can :thumb:

Btw, for the other one's looking after an G5 case, put a request on a second hand website and wait, I got my for 70 euro, delivered at my door, with a whole G5 with it in a box! (broken motherboard). Success!!!!:clap:

10. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Wooo, another G5 mod.. I wish I could work on mine, I've got 2 of these cases sitting in my closet

E.E.L. - Check ebay, there have been a lot of them on there lately. Or I could sell you one of mine if you like. I'm going through tough times :(

11. jhanlon303

Well, you have me and Cyprio so far. All we need now is Mr.Bean and AngelOD.

I too have two more uncut G5s. Postage is really nasty now days. Best to try to find one locally.
    Try local PC shops to see if they might know of any G5 or Mac peeps.

john

12. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Angel's back! :thumb:

That is by far the best backplate on a G5 ever! Very well done! :rock:
    (Sry cyp... No pun intendet!)

Gotta love these G5's, the most beautifull case ever! Once it has a "real" computer inside, it's the shisnits... ;)

If you need inspiration, go to the profiles; jhanlon303, Cyprio, Mr.Bean, and yours truly if everything else fails... :)

I'll be following this, that's for sure! :thumb:

E.E.L. <-- Keep your magic hands off of the G5... Some of us have spent ages and a lot of money modding these, and we don't want you to outshine us!:rolleyes:

13. jhanlon303

You finally showed up. Now we have me and Cyp, and you - who's still missing? Mr. Bean? Not too many in the G5 gene pool!

john

14. renba

renba hooch is crazy

I'm going to post mine too ( but I'm not finished yet):D

15. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

Lots of G5's going on right now huh? Nice looking case though! I'm sure you'll be able to do something nice with this one. One thought though, are you going to keep the apples on the side panels or are you going to cover / replace those in some way? The apple is a really slick logo but it feels just like putting mercedes hub caps on a volvo.

16. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Or a chrome HEMI logo on a Celica.....

17. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Oh, I don't know about this objection...Apple did make the case after all, so really, what's the difference between the Apple logo on the side as opposed to the Silverstone snowflake on their cases?

18. Jelle46

Jelle46 Belgium

Hey, thanks for the replies!
    I received my 4870 and the RAM a few days ago and I will try to fit it all into the case as quickly as possible, because I'm waiting for a decent gaming rig for months now :p

For the people who want to know what I'm going to do with the logo's on the side, I will respray it in the future, because there are quite some scratches on it, the logo's will disappear and I'm not sure with what I will replace it, or new Apple logo's, or something different, or I'll leave it clean, I'm not sure yet.

greets and expect an update in a few days!!!

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ebay cheaps ;)

When are the powers that be on Bit going to give in and give the people what they want? Apple mods subforum? Come one, you know it makes sense ;)

Anyway, once again a nice G5 mod so far, I especially like the bottom radiator mount and the res mount in the side panel, both very clean and tidy in keeping with the apple look! I can sympathize with you on dismantling one of these, having stripped a G5 and a Mac Pro and stored them in broken down form until I get a slot in my busy timetable to use them for Mac>PC mods :D

20. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

updates??