1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iTablet due in November?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Aug 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

That last link is a bit messed up..

What exactly does simplified Mac OS mean? What will this device offer that the iPhone doesn't? IMO it's a stupid move, if people want to watch HD video, they do it on a TV. On planes or trains, everyone is happy with a device that is the size of an iPod Touch. It will have to stay thin and aluminum and unibody, thus eliminating the possibility of it having good battery life, and nobody has pulled off a netbook without a keyboard, and I don't expect any company to be able to.

If in fact Apple is releasing this product, they are doing it just for a quick cash-in.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2009
  3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

£480??? I could get a proper sized laptop for that price.

4. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Really looking forward to this. Wanted a media player that I could hook up to a hotel TV and be able to play all my vids whatever codec they use. Can't stand the built in screens on airplanes because they are cheap tacky touch screens and detail is crap. Also not sure you can pause any films on planes yet as the films usually stream continously.

docodine if everyone was happy with iPod Touch sizes then why do netbooks exist and sell VERY well?

As for netbooks without keyboards ... the iPhone seems to work very well with the virtual keyboard and I'm sure that this tablet will even easier to use due to a bigger sized screen?

---

On a side note, can anyone confirm if the chinese worker who died by "jumping" out his window; lost a new prototype iPhone or one of these babies?

I know that most sites have reported it as an iPhone but I find that hard to believe as the 3GS is so new and this tablet hasn't been seen yet, so I wonder if it's likelier to be one of these?

I ask because o2 say I can have a free upgrade to iPhone 3GS in December, BUT, if the chinese guy lost an even knewer iPhone maybe I should wait ... ?

I suppose Xmas will reveal all.

5. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

i am all for new products, and wonder at the ongoing cyber-luddite attitude that sometimes prevails in forums.
    Enjoy the tech, it is good stuff!

S*D

6. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

i would possibly get one of these... especially as you can just have it on ur desk along with your pc... i imagine it'll be slick but i think Apple will be missing a trick if they dont give it its own user interface a la iphone. imagine an Apple version of the, pretty basic, media center and it gives me a trouser accident.

Edit: maybe they'll build in functionality within snow leopard for this?

7. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Side note. You can pause films on 'some' planes, I remember doing it on a long haul to NY or UAE.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im really looking forward to this. i've always wanted a netbook-like tablet running OSX.

problem is, with Apple, they may make a cut-down version of OSX, which may mean not all OSX apps can run. that would suck and i'd rather buy a netbook and build hackintosh

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

If Apple really build this thing it should run proper OSX.
    If Apple really build this thing it should be more than just a bigger iPod Touch.
    If Apple really build this thing it should be on my Christmas list.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Granted the screens aren't magnificent, but they aren't bad for the few hours you're on the plane.

As far as pausing, that may depend on the plane and the duration of the flight. On both Delta and Continental flights overseas, you can pause, rewind, and fast forward. The movie selections are on-demand, rather than everyone watching the same stream.

For shorter domestic flights here in the US, if you get a plane large enough to have video monitors then you'll typically get whatever they happen to be playing that month. Rather than everyone having their own screen, there will be a few screens placed overhead, and everyone watches the same video.

-monkey

11. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Ah right I'm talking about long haul flights so slightly more than a "few hours". If I fly to Europe (being in the UK) I wouldn't normally care about the screen or features. And you must have not read past my first post as in my second I corrected myself.

But thanks for trying to educate me ;)

12. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

You just know that this thing will be a thing of beauty and everyone will want one. Especially me!

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Netbooks are definitely targeted toward a different audience, as they are about double the price and 4x+ the size.

Netbooks without keyboards: http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary

The Chinese worker:
    http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Foxconn_employee_commits_suicide_over_missing_iPhone_in_China

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'd buy. Definitely.

15. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

What a complete waste of money. So this is the Apple version of a cheap netbook?

With the Mac OS having compatibility issues with everything other than an Apple product, this tablet will end up being as useful as a cock flavoured lollipop.

16. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

What compatibility issues? Mac os has plenty of programs from third party developers, and works with most pc peripherals. Have you ever even used one? You could just as easily say pc's have compatibility issues because mac programs don't run on them. If you going to bitch about apple, at least go after something thats partly true, like how overpriced and under powered they are.

17. ChuckyP83

ChuckyP83 What's a Dremel?

Jet Blue has TV screens in each seatback headrest and live Satellite based TV. As well as 4-5 Pay per View movies. Delta has on demand movie and TV services and Virgin American has something similar I think, though I've never flown them myself. Jet blue has these services on EVERY flight they run. 45 minute flight from NYC to Burlington, VT? you get TV albeit for only about 30 minutes of the flight.

18. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

*cough* Newton *cough*

19. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Well said.

crazyceo, don't join the ranks of sub 25 year olds on this forum who slag Apple of for all the wrong reasons. I know you got some sense in that noggin of yours because I heard you use it on many occasion!

20. Bluepig

Bluepig What's a Dremel?

Apple MacPad

Maybe I could take in my old Acer that I have owned and paid taxes on for the last year, and possibly qualify for some of the "Cash For Clunkers" money. Nothing like being a life suck and steal from those who work for a living, so I don't have to be responsible for my poor life choices. The facts are; if you have a notebook/laptop and you put out another $800 (expected street - $995 actual Apple price) for a "supercool" new Mac-tech, you deserve to be broke. If you need a Windows Laptop don't complain when your cheap POS dies, buy a quality system to start (Sony or Toshiba). If you want a Leopard system you have to buy a MacBook (or other Apple product) and you will get quality. :jawdrop:

Tags: Add Tags