1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AppleCoreDuo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cyprio, 2 Dec 2006.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Sweet. Looking tight.

2. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Excellent and professional looking as ever :)

3. SirShaw

SirShaw What's a Dremel?

looking sweet man but at least to me the backlighting looks a bit dull, is it just the camera and its brighter in person or is it really that dark? Cant wait to see the UV highlights :)

top notch mod though bud! :)

4. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Simply can't wait to see the finished project!

5. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Well, i will have more LEDs in the bottom and possibly sides but i am going for a minimal white ambient light and an intense UV on the blocks to create a contrast.

That's the plan at least. :D

Cyp.

6. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Cool! I don't know why but those couple last pics reminded me of something like midnight city lights. Some dark and lonely London alleys maybe? ;)

7. Pete Wright

Pete Wright What's a Dremel?

Cyprio,

Been following this for a life time it feels but it's been well worth it. You've an amazing case but also a very nice pad by the looks of things. I've finaly got my self a case. APPLE INTEL MAC PRO, dual optical drives etc etc.

One question, does your optical drive fit through the opening as the photos i seen on G5 etc all are thin

[​IMG]

8. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

sorry if I step in here............
    but he mentioned it 3 pages back in
    post#272
    and
    post#273

please :read:

Alan

Last edited: 11 Nov 2007
  9. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

This looks awesome! I really love the way that the core mods look totally stock, and then you actually modded from there. Well done! Cant wait for the completion.

10. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Pete, if you give me an hour i will update with the DVD drive bezel finished. :) Normal drives work fine but its a bit of a fiddle to get the bezel to open correctly as the drive has to sit at exactly the right position. I am happy with 4 out of 5 attempts opening with no glitch right now. :)

Of course my case is the older version so i dont know the exact size of yours - i would imagine they are the same.

Breah and The Alien = :thumb:

Catch you a bit later.

Cyp.

ps the flat is amazing but alas its a rental and they are selling it so will be moving on soon. :(

11. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

This will look like a rather short update although it took me the best part of 7 hours to complete! I basically wanted to finish off the top of the case so that i wouldn't have to touch it again (hopefully!). This involved, moving some of the LEDs that werent quite in position, attaching the DVD bezel so that it opens freely without sticking (harder than i thought) and mounting the DVD drive at exactly the right height so that it opens the bezel rather then just smashing into it and staying closed!

But before i would do all that i needed to do some more 'hole cleaning'... this is getting rid of the polishing gunk that was left over from the paint job. It has dried as a white powder inside the holes and is quite noticable.

Top are cleaned, bottom are not.

[​IMG]

I have tried using pipe cleaners to get rid of it but this didnt work that well so i have moved to using rolled up screen wipes.

The alcohol seems to get rid of the powder immediately.

[​IMG]

There are 30 holes in each row... i havent counted how many rows there are!

[​IMG]

Next i moved onto the front bezel sorted. It is bolted on from the sides and also the front using spacers. The front of the case bows in at the middle so it was hard to find a spot where it didnt rub the aluminium.

Spacer - made from a BIC pen ink tube!

[​IMG]

Bezel in place:

[​IMG]

In order to fit the DVD drive i cut 2 strips of perspex and bolted them to the bottom of the drive using button head bolts. This raised it to the right height for the bezel.

[​IMG]

I then drillled 6mm holes in the metal plate so the bolts slotted into these snugly:

[​IMG]

DVD drive in place:

[​IMG]

Open drive bay:

[​IMG]

Here are a few videos i took today as well (sorry 2 of them are so dark - they were taken at end of day):

DVD drive test:

Door mechanism in place and working fine:

Top of case done, door mechanism in place:

Last edited: 11 Nov 2007
  12. Pete Wright

Pete Wright What's a Dremel?

IPA in spray can dude, just go over the lot that will get rid of it all im more than sure of it. I use it to clean my mobos after benching with Ln2 for 10 hours+. Im really pleased with how your porject has come out. It's inspiered me and show me what direction to go. By the way size torx fitting are the bolts that hole the inner to the puter that go around on the inside edge?

Can't wait to get mine

13. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

IPA? Would that damage my paint at all?

The torx are size 8 on my case - if you mean the ones that hold the inner cage to the outer one.

14. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Pete - you got me thinking about the 'thin apple drives'. I took the front bezel off the DVD drive itself and it seems like this helps open the bezel - no jamming yet! :)

15. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

How can Indian Pale Ale clean his computer?:eyebrow: Please explain :D

16. sik19

sik19 What's a Dremel?

Whoa i relly like the drive cover. It looks so cool when it slides down. Great Work!

17. DoOb's

DoOb's Overclocker/Modder

Brillant Work Cyprio, This is the best case out , You doing this case very very well, Everything just looks perfect man. Keep it up.

18. eNoremac

eNoremac What's a Dremel?

About the DVD drive for Mac Cases..

AS to prevent jamming.. I took my front plate off the DVD since as we both see the Apple G5 doesn't have any. I did a test on that and that worked just fine without slamming through it.

A question for you Cyprio about the DVD drive.. Did it require any special wiring or you just basically solder the wires to where the switch used to be and moved the switch to the end of the wires correct? :confused:

Other than that keep it up.. It's coming together very very very nicely! :clap:

19. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Thanks. :)

Taken from post 70 in the log:

Hope that helps.

Cyp.

20. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

I just use this and set it as a keyboard shortcut.