1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus M4A785TD-V Evo Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I think this is a excellent mobo for the 'normal' users like for example my parents. the price is also right, just some memory and a cpu and well you'r done, it would probably not cost more the 200 for a complete upgrade.

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

That heatsink looks like it takes up alot of room next nto the CPU and would make putting on an aftermarket cooler really awkward........

4. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Nice chipset and board, but I can't help but think that a 780G board can offer better value.

I just bought an Abit A-S78H (780G) brand new for £31.00/€35.00/US$51.00 as a media PC upgrade (I can now dump the discrete graphics card!). Probably trying to shed Abit stock before Universal Abit pulls out of motherboards (rumour?), but at that price I'll risk Abit falling over!

If you can get a 785G for similar price to a 780G, then good buy. But I think that the 780G can be found at a good price and offers better value for 95% of features/performance.

5. JoHoschi

JoHoschi What's that?

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Good or not, this thing gotta win the 'Ugliest Mainboard of the Year' (UMotY) award.

I like my black PCB mobo. If only it would be all black. :p

7. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

8. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

I read AMD and skipped to the conclusion, am I a PC snob? :)

9. dec

dec [blank space]

doesnt AMD overdrive let you change the CPU-NB multiplier? of would it be locked because you cant change it in the BIOS

10. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Dodgy hyperlink in the second paragraph of first page.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Skimmed thru a bit, and didn't see any mention of the video decode capabilities of the integrated chipset video....?
    (at work so may have a little "over-skimmed")....

The 780G at least decodes Bluray and 720p/1080p no problem......i would think the 785G does too, and with that dual video stream thing too (for whoever wants to watch a film, and the directors commentary at the same time...whoever does that...)

12. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I had to laugh at that - the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe is what I STILL use for work!

Four CMOS batteries, three graphics cards, three CPU HSF's & it's still chugging along...

13. raygun

raygun What's a Dremel?

Its interesting that this EVO series mobo, along with the M4A79XTD EVO has a 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector instead of the usual 8 pin.

Is that enough to supply the juice for a 140W cpu like the X4 965, apprently this CPU is not listed in the CPU support list.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's a damn good call. I shall have to try it!

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

In the specification it says "140W CPU support" :)

16. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

The A7N8X-E Deluxe is a seriously good nForce 2 board. I bought mine in mid-2004 and sold it on eBay at the end of 2006 when I upgraded to dual-core.

But get this. I sold it at auction for the same amount as I paid for it in 2004! I'm not joking, I had 0% depreciation on a computer part over a 30 month period. Of course it was in "as new" condition, in pristine, original packaging and with all accessories. That's just the way I am with my computer gear.

At the time people were going nuts over high end Socket A CPUs and nForce 2 400FSB motherboards (A7N8X-E and NF7-S still command premiums), and it has only tailed off in the last six months or so. Just before the slide I sold a used XP3200+ for three times what a reasonable spec, used dual-core C2D/K8 CPU/MB/RAM combo would have cost.
    Guy I sold it to did audio content, wanted a speed boost (from a XP2500+), but didn't fancy going through the reinstall process after an upgrade. Told him in reply to his question that the performance boost would be minimal and he was better off going for a dual-core (I'm just a nice guy that way), but he bid high anyway and he wasn't alone. Nuts. I made out like a bandit on that CPU flip, 300% profit.

eBay lessons to be learned:
    1. Never underestimate how much people will spend for convenience and a life free of pain.
    2. Always be honest, buyers are MORE likely to bid higher and be happier with their purchase.
    3. eBay exists only to rip off buyers and (mostly) sellers for a quick + to the corporate bottom line. Even more scum sucking than personal injury lawyers.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2009
  17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Yeah...NF2 boards are just legendary.

That said, ebay is an excellent place to get S-IPS monitors.

18. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

Hey p3n I don't think you are a snob. I did the same. I find AMD totally irrelevant especially with Lynnfield and P55 around the corner!!

19. robmuld

robmuld What's a Dremel?

What happened to stability testing? That's the part of reviews I look forward to the most. Stick in the maximum wattage CPU that the board supports and let it crank! Will the mosfets burn up if an X4 965 is used at 100% overnight?

20. livesabitch

livesabitch life is what you make it!

i must say i dont like the look of it but for the price and quality of the product i would probably buy it! not bad for a low budget board!

Tags: Add Tags