1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus P5NSLI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Sep 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

:p :hehe:

2. Holms

Holms What's a Dremel?

Hello
    I got a weird problem with specified motherboard (P5NSLI).
    the problem is the following
    1. booting from CD and starting install Windows XP SP2 - OK
    2. after first reboot Window still installs its stuff - OK
    3. next reboot - at this step Windows shall start for first time and here I get a blue screen saying to check the HDD. But I think the problem is not in HDD cause I changed 2 of them, first was Seagate SATA 300GB and second a MAXTOR ATA133 300GB and with both of them I get the same problem.
    Other hardware installed:
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    RAM - Corsair 2 * 1Gb
    Video - ATI X1600Pro 512RAM
    Any ideas?
    The bios version is the same like on Download area for this motherboard.

And another question, hot to make the Windows setup to see entire disk (300Gb) for ATA drive, with SATA I used drivers for SATA Raid from diskete.

Thx

3. Acreo Aeneas

Acreo Aeneas What's a Dremel?

You need to use the approved brand memory stated in the Asus P5NSLI motherboard manual. After a good 3 weeks of research, other memory brands offers varying degrees of success.

(Ha! I know what a Dremel is...got one in the basement I use :) )

4. bs87

bs87 What's a Dremel?

I bought this mainboard some time ago to replace an old Gigabyte 478 with Celeron 1.7GHz system that was running as a test server then. I was just learning how to work with windows 2k3, got it working at home in a domain with 5 users with roaming profiles, all the documents on the server and using this one as a print server also ánd making back-ups every night. But that one became to old to do all that work. So I bought a new one, the Asus P5N SLI. It wasn't very expensive but also not too expensive. I've good experiences with the more expensive Asus models, but I've thrown away some ultra cheap models that got more and more problems. I've got the P5NSLI mainboard running as a server for two years now, without any problems. It's running as a domain controller, file server, does the backups, runs NeroMedia Home for the PS3, and the smaller things; print server, dhcp, dns, downloading tv shows and extracting the .rar files witch goes very quick. Oh almost forgot; I've connected a security cam that's outside my house. the video will be recored 24/7, and still the cpu (Core 2duo 6400) hits the 15% in idle time (memory 1GB of 2 in use). I once did a speed test for the gigabit lan connection between this one, and my other computer that's some years older, connected with a gb swith. I almost got the 500Mbit/s, and I think that it could go more faster by placing more disks to pull data from :-D
    The nord- and southbride are indeed very hot. I'm concidering placing an extra fan on the nordbridge and placing a heatsink on the southside.
    But besides that I think that this is a very stable and fast mainboard, but that you shouldn't buy it for gaming, although you cán, but just like the guys wrote in the story; you can get a far better mainboard.
    Oh and thanks for the memory tip to upgrade it to 667, will try it tomorrow!

Tags: Add Tags