1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Slim Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Neat, but quite expensive for what it is. Particularly with a PCI interface.. Fail :(

Linux support is likely to be non-existent too.

3. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

is the Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe better than all of creatives sound cards ?

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Lol Creative. The only thing they're good for is artificial "gaming" effects.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I don't understand the point of wasting two HDMI ports to carry separate sound and video signals - HDMI was meant to carry both together, and many AV amps don't have HDMI ports to waste like that.

Also, how do you get an optical signal out of a coax SPDIF connector?

£100 seems a lot of money for something that is effectively an SPDIF passthrough - something which ATI's HD cards do fine already - so what's the benefit of this card?

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Different Drivers and it's not ALC..

7. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

It's one HDMI from your craphics card to your sound card, and one from your sound card to your AV amp. Not two separate cables. That'd be retarded.

You use a converter, or some kind of multi cable.

SPDIF can't carry full HD sound unless it's 2.0, so it's not just an SPDIF passthrough. I think you might want to re-read the review...

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

They probably couldn't fit the PCI to PCI-e converter chip on something so small. ;)

9. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

In case you're scratching your head in response to my comment, all other ASUS sound cards do use a PCI - PCIe converter onchip to enable the card to use a PCI-e X1 slot instead of a PCI slot.

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Ah, that makes much more sense. I wondered why it had two HDMI ports :rolleyes:
    I misread. I though the review said that the card was HDMI 1.3 compliant, which would have meant that the card was just passing the DTS-HD/TrueHD signal for the amp to process. Because it's only 1.2 compliant, that means the card is doing the processing instead, which does make sense now.

I'd have liked to seen some kind of test to determine the actual saving in CPU load when using this card compared to having the CPU doing the decoding.

Reason I ask is that I'm building a cheap, low-power movie server, but it doesn't have enough grunt to play an HD movie unless it's re-encoded to a more CPU-friendly format like DIVX - so if I could offload the video processing to a GPU and the audio processing to this card, it might be enough to allow it to play HD movies in their original format.

11. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Wtf is HD audio?

12. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

essentially its lossless surround sound, in the form of dolby trueHD and dts-HD...

The above is pretty misleading... The only point to having this soundcard is if you want to bitstream dolby or dts... (and have the ability to decode that stram on your receiver)

edit: well, ok it would be a fairly ok buy for someone with an amp with hdmi in but without the ability to decode true hd or dts master onboard

Last edited: 22 Aug 2009
  13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I refuse to call it HD audio because that term doesn't make any sense.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

okay so I didnt read the whole thing but the whole point of HDMI is Audio and Video in one easy cable SO that HDMI in plug would thta be to take video coming off of your video card and send it to the audio card to be mixed with the audio and then the video and audio is sent to the HDMI out to go to the reciever/tv?

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

It seems like an utter load of bollocks, though I'm sure a number of purists are willing to pay the premium to get the "HD" audion through a discrete sound card. Off to the bar, brb ->

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

"HD" is classed as anything over 48KHz/16bit (DVD quality).

After that, it could be anything, but the usual suspects are 96KHz/24-bit or 192KHz/24-bit for PCs.

17. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I feel that HiDefinition (AKA HD) is overabused.

18. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

This is explained in the article, please read it. :)

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I rather not but thanks anyways not all that interested in the card enough to read that review, that was my only curiosity question I had about it.

20. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

HourBeforeDawn: You would have wasted less precious time of your life if you had just read the article, instead of waiting for replies on a forum. Each to his own I guess....

Also I don't care if I waster time writing this post. I like it. It's fulfilling for me.

Also Asus need to quit making crap. This card belongs nowhere.

Tags: Add Tags