1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Backing up muiltiple computers including Macs to windows based PC over network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 8 Jun 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Our HTPC has about 6tb of unused storage with our entire 4000+ CD collection in it, and I want to back up all our computers to it over the network. Is it possible? We've got 1 windows-based desktop, 2 Macbook Pros, an iMac, and a Mac Pro all connected over WiFi. Is there a way to make a shared folder or something that I can do Time Machine backups to?

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Time Machine won't back up to any old drive, it's a fussy little expletive. Basically the destination needs to be a recognised TM server - which is normally a Time Capsule. However, OS X Server allows creation of backup folders, several NAS boxes, and most importantly, some third party software.

Ubuntu can do it. So can FreeNAS and Windows Server 2011 with a few tricks. It may even work with Windows 7, but I've not tried - personally I use a Synology NAS.