1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Backpack recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by Rizzo, 30 Jan 2012.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo What's a Dremel?

I'm hoping you guys might be able to make some suggestions for a good backpack. I really need something that can really fit a tablet (Asus Transformer) and a netbook (11.6" Samsung N510) as well as a set of clothes, plus tech bits charger, cables etc.

Currently I have a Karrimor Urban 30

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Urban-Rucksack-Black-Litre/dp/B002YUJIGG/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

This just about on its last legs. Holds up pretty well with the tablet and netbook and the rest of my stuff that I throw in it. I'm looking for something around this just better quality.

So what backpacks do you guys use to carry your tech around?

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'm quite fond of the Eastpak Pinnacle 35L for carrying all my stuff, prices vary depending on the design. Mine was about £50 as it's a single bright colour, I believe the black one is roughly £35-40.

It's got a ton of space (though probably not as much as Sentinel's 40L one) which is mostly split into two large compartments, there's other pockets and a front mesh pocket... about the size of a tablet actually, though I wouldn't recommend keeping a tablet in that pocket due to the high chances of rain in this country.
    It isn't labelled as waterproof/resistant, but I've never had anything inside the backpack appear damp when out in heavy showers for 20-30 minutes.

I generally have a pair of inline skates, a netbook, pads and some spare clothes in mine.
    Going by how much space my skates take up, I'd imagine you wouldn't have a problem fitting the tablet & netbook in one compartment and a good amount of clothing in the other.

Edit - Found a link to a camo style one for £35:
    http://www.pak30.com/en/Eastpak/Pinnacle/Camouflage

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Although not particularly stylish I have had good experiences with the Swiss Gear back packs. They come with a life time warranty and when the stitching on the shoulder strap came loose they replaced it with a new bag in less than 5 days.

5. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

I always recommend DAKINE backpacks, they are great quality and their designs are pretty cool. Couple of examples: Here
    and here

some more designs Here and loadsa other places online :)

6. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

I would recommend Targus they have an excellent selection. I've had a Targus backpack for several years since i got my laptop. It's a case designed for a 17" notebook.

I can easily fit: The notebook, my 10.1" tablet(in its own case) plus charger, phone charger,2 laptop power supply units and cables(standard use +backup), laptop mouse, plus my kindle and a WD 2TB external and a number of other items including various other chargers and my iPod touch.

I've also used it to ferry a set of clothes about if i've been away overnight.

EDIT: Found what looks to be my backpack on Targus website, http://www.targus.com/uk/product_details.asp?sku=TCB001EU

Here's the backpack on Amazon

Last edited: 31 Jan 2012
  7. Rizzo

Rizzo What's a Dremel?

Cheers guys some nice suggestions I think I'm torn between the Targus and Swiss bags now.

8. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

I have this bag:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swissgear-G...DLR0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1328436851&sr=8-9

It is quite simply AMAZING, it is HUGE, but can be reduced in size if you only want to carry a few bits.

There is some comments that the "air" holes causes rain to get into the main back, I sometimes wonder if people just see the holes and just comment, rather than use and then make judgement. I use this to cycle to work, in all weather, and never once has anything got wet inside.

It is on quite a good offer too.

I can post some pictures with all my gear in if you want a real world example.

9. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

North Face Hot Shot

I have this bag, in the black waterproof material, waterproof zips and padded laptop compartment. good size, hydration port (although i used it as a headphone port so you can feed the wire from your pack keeping the device dry.)

i love it, i got it to take travelling all over europe, held up well. nice size so you can still wear it when full on trains and busses. even when things turned sour, it held all my belongings whilst being homeless keeping everything dry. no breaks, still waterproof (despite spelling diesel all over it!)

yea, gets my stamp of approval.

10. Rizzo

Rizzo What's a Dremel?

11. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011