1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Basic modding tools (Noob needs help)?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fyve, 4 Mar 2008.

1. Fyve

Fyve What's a Dremel?

Hey every one at bit-tech!

I'm new on these forums as you can probably tell, but I've been looking at many articles and reading a lot of project logs which have inspired me to start modding my self. Hopefully eventually getting to doing a scratch build.

One thing I've had a hard time finding information on is what basic tools do you need? I mostly plan on cutting aluminum (maybe steel) and acrylic. I also don't have a large budget, hard to estimate a budget for tools right now. Pretty much the only tool I own at the moment that seems to be popular is a Dremel Speed MultiPro, which I've had for a while, and only own the most basic attachments that came in the box. I've also gathered that it is good to have a flex shaft for it.

So my question is what are good attachments for the dremel? Ive also noticed attatchments such as the workstation which is supposed to work as a drill press, would this be a good alternative to a real drill press? Ive also wondered about how to tap holes and such for screws. I don't think I can afford a band saw, so any cheap alternative would be nice. Also what other tools are good to have? Jig saw, or is there some attatchment for a Dremel that workslike as well as a jig saw such as this?

Thanks for any tips that you guys can give me! :D

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

in a pinch, a dremel with reinforced cutting discs can do most of what a jigsaw can do, but not nearly as well, as easily, or as quickly. and with the amount you will spend replacing broken discs you could probably buy a cheap jigsaw. a bandsaw or scrollsaw is nice for large projects, but not really necessary in most cases.

a dremel is not a replacement for a drill, no matter what attachments you buy for it. a good alternative to a drill press is a drill and a steady hand.

a good set of taps is expensive, but if you just buy the two or three that you really need it shouldn't be too pricey.

other things you might find useful is a good set of screwdrivers (full size and jewellers), files, a riveter, and a multimeter. but buy the tools as you need them. there is no point forking out the cash to set up a workshop and then finding that you don't use half of what you bought.

welcome to the forums, good luck, and i hope to see your project log soon.

3. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

also sandpaper and a good set of files. i bought the dremel workstation last year, its prettygood for light drilling with the dremel, and ive used it as a makeshift router sorta thing. but it takes really long setting up the dremal in the press sort og thing and sometimes slides.

4. OdDBaLL_MoD

OdDBaLL_MoD Always planning something...

I always find that a decent drill, either corded or cordless, is a good thing to have, and depending what your doing, a soldering iron. I've always got mine near me, in case i feel the "need". :D

Last edited: 6 Mar 2008
  5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The dremel is the starting tool of many modders on this forum

If you really need something don't cheap out(but don't max your credit card), why buy 2 cheap tool when you could buy 1 good tool

6. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Probably the most essential tools are: Dremel, jig-saw, drill, files, files, screwdrivers, and sandpaper; useful tools include: sander, scroll-saw, tap/die set, router, circular saw, ......

7. Fyve

Fyve What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the tips, I'll be out shopping soon (and modding hopefully too)!

8. notatoad

on the contrary, modding is very light-duty work. department store brand should be good enough. don't go out and buy contractor-grade tools, it would take about three lifetimes of modding to wear them out.

9. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I've got to agree with The_Beast on this one; the reason being that on a lot of cheap tools there's a lot of play/wobble on the drive mechanisms, with a saw this easily results in not making an. exact cut

10. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I totally agree on this...I have a cheap jigsaw and it's hell to use! the blade doesn't stay particularly straight so it tends to try and move off course ( you have to really hold it solid). However I don't use it often enough to warrant an expensive one...

With screwdrivers - call me a traditionalist - you really want REAL ones. The interchangable tips are ok if you're using a drill with lots of screws, but a decent set of 'drivers is indispensable.

11. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

i have my own full size set and had to borrow my dads jewellers when i needed em...
    NOT ANYMORE!!! :D
    best 6 bucks ive spent in a while :hehe:

12. notatoad

there is cheap, and then there is garbage. any brand-name tools should have a solid mechanism. jobmate or some other no-name brand is a risky buy, but don't go out and buy makita or something. you don't need contractor grade tools for modding.

and jigsaws are just kind of wobbly. i've used a $300 jigsaw and a $30 jigsaw, and there was very little difference in the feel. you are paying for reliablity.

13. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

My Bosch tools are all contractor grade :D but I use them for more than just modding. And for the record, the drive in my Bosch 52318 cordless jigsaw is solid as a rock.

I've seen plenty of home grade tools (even from name brands such as Black & Decker) that are plagued with issues such as play in the drive, insensitivity in the trigger (tools w/ variable speed), and delayed start (>1 sec before it kicks on).

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Those interchangable screwdrivers are almost always junk

get a good set of real ones :thumb:

15. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

husky makes a real nice set of jewllers that is interchangable if you wanna go with that. but i agree with the beast, they are still junk. especially if you lose or break one. then youve got 5 of 6 and a regular size. its probably cheaper to go with good independent ones anyway

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The core critical tools for modding would be a hacksaw, files, drill, and sandpaper. (and sometimes your teeth.:D)
    99% of why a jigsaw wanders is the blade itself. The thin blades have a habit of chosing the path of least resistance. They will glance off a knothole or bend when you force them to turn.