1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BBC's micro:bit gets a Foundation, international launch plan

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Oct 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Great news, a really good course of action; the RPi Foundation has been such a force for good.
    I hope the micro:bit community is as strong after a slow start. I do think that Eben Upton & the RPi team did play it well by creating a community immediately by selling Pis to makers/hackers etc. so that there was something to launch the educational drive from.

Using phones as well as PCs as a programming/control/setup platform is a great idea, as my kids (like many others i'm sure) are more attached to their phone than any other device, even tablets.

My daughter is in Y8, and the promised micro;bit at school did not materialise in Y7, but has been promised for this year.
    I look forward to experimenting with her, and want to build a small robot myself.

3. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

@Gareth Halfacree - I got a MicroBit the other day, and just ordered your book today.. Is it any good? :D

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nah.

(No, but seriously, it only has three reviews on Amazon so far - and two of those were freebies, apparently - but they're all pretty glowing, so I don't reckon I've done too badly!)

You'll have to let me know what you think!

IamSoulRider likes this.
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well your Pi book was was so bad they made you do it again 3 [or was it 4?] more times... :p

...before anyone gets antsy i am of course referring to the fact it's sucessful and is now on it's 4th [iirc] edition.

IamSoulRider likes this.
  6. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

Amazon have just told me it is despatched so now cannot be cancelled... I guess this means I get the opportunity to tell you in the forums and on Amazon just how good (or not :p) the book is :)