1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Best networking setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by microsoftPerson, 18 Mar 2014.

1. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

I have been struggling with some issues with my very ancient D-link WBR-1310. Mainly, the device requires power-resets almost daily. Also, however, it's an early G-protocol router and devices like the Chromecast and many laptops have trouble maintaining connectivity and it also does not have any gigabit ethernet ports.

I'm looking for a good replacement. I've been considering going with a gigabit switch + wireless router. I thought this might help keep the main PC online when/if the new router goes south. I also would like to get something with DD-WRT compatibility (mostly because I've heard it's worth having - not that I am ready to start tinkering with them at this moment).

Does anybody have a router and/or switch that they would recommend? Are they any networking gurus who can comment on the proposed setup?

This might be useful information:

I have 1-2 PC's connected via ethernet at a time. Wireless devices: Nexus 7 (OG), ASUS laptop (802.11AC I believe), Lenovo Laptop (a/b/g/n I believe), and an incoming Macbook Pro Retina (work PC). There's also a spattering of cellphones.

My place is pretty small (600 sq. ft.). I'm moving to a new, bigger, apartment soon but I doubt it will be larger than 1000 sq. ft.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How much are you looking to spend? AC routers cost a bit more than your older N-spec.

3. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Sorry, forgot my budget. $50-150. I don't necessarily need the fastest router, the current router is only 54Mbps I believe. Though I'd be interested in the options and opinions on the matter.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Try looking at the N56U or AC66U. I just bought the N56U as it's still got 'fast' n and a and AC prices haven't come down yet. I stupidly bought a 'cheap' .ac router recently (won't say brand) as I needed a replacement desperately only to find out after I got home it had 10/100 Ethernet and I couldn't even get a good connection in the same room! I spent ages trying to work out what was wrong with the cable assuming GigE wired was 'the minimum' these days. It's not. Very annoyed.