1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best way to transport computer bits without a case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord Blobbery, 26 Oct 2011.

1. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

So I'm planning on building an ATX-sized Trinity-based system over the next few months to replace my ageing desktop at home. I intend to take this with me to uni. However, said uni is 2.5 hours away from home by train. The HAF 912 I've ordered will in all likelihood take up a significant amount of room in a bag.

To minimise the amount of extra storage space transportation of this would require, my plan was to remove everything but the fans from the case, shove some of my clothes inside, stick the case in a suitably chunky bag, stick all the components inside anti-static bags and put them in my rucksack (possibly individually re-boxed) to stop them from destroying themselves/each other.

In short, is this feasible?

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Id fit all the components instead and then bubble wrap the hell out of it!

Sent from Bittech Android app

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Get a much smaller case? I have the Lian Li A05FN and it would be much better suited to move around. It's the smallest standard-ATX case you can buy. If you get the Lian Li I would stuff it with soft foam from a madras or something like it to keep the components from falling about. Just remember to remove it before firing it up! ;)

4. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

Unfortunately Lian-Li is WAY out of my budget - I'm trying to keep it ~£400, and even that's with scavenging the optical drive, wireless and sound cards from my old machine (the only halfway-competent components I have). The 912 was on sale at Overclockers for about £5 more than the Antec 100, so I snapped it up.

5. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

An idea would be to disessemble the components from the case, put em in the anti-static bags they came in then fill use clothes as filler/protection, laying all the components flat back into the case. Two birds with one stone. I've done this a few times for international shipping of my stuff that I don't have to ability to move it on my own.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Courier it to yourself if you have the box for the case?

7. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

That. Is. Brilliant. :clap:

I'd probably do the self-posting thing if I wasn't having to budget for a student loan...

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its about a fiver or so though...

9. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Shipping in the UK shouldn't be too bad for a computer. Just search "UK couriers" on google. I got a quote of less than £15 to ship a chiller I bought a few days ago, weighing 22Kg, but I got lucky and the seller was travelling past the town I live in 2 days later :)

10. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

For sites like parcel2go, just double-check the insurance small print first, some of these couriers only insure electrical goods for loss and not damage.