1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bethesda makes map for Portal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Nov 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

coolness will try it tonight :D

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I was too stupid/impatient to do the four original bonus maps so i doubt i'll manage this.

4. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

The "in the forums" links to the Forum's main page. I'll let you know about the map when I get Portal! Cheers.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

whoops, thanks!

6. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Trying it now, will update on difficulty...

EDIT :
    WOW. Try it, if you Dare...very small room, lots of things, not many portal walls, a companion sphere...tough one.
    I'm taking screenies.
    (not much more than the official ones at the moment, I'll try to stay spoiler-free.
    The whole room rotates...very nice thought.
    I suggest you try it, it's really great !!

Last edited: 6 Nov 2007
  7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'mma buy the orange box when I get home, it's long overdue. I'll try this out as soon as I can, being a Bethesda whore :)

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Remoted into my home computer to install this from work just a few moments ago... I'm quite excited to give it a try tonight.

9. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

VERY well made map, though the unportalable and portalable walls need to be made a bit clearer.

10. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

I agree, between light gray and dark gray, it's better to rely on the crosshair...
    Anyone did the catcher ?

Advice : trying to block door with a sphere is a very BAD idea...especially when the sphere comes to crush you.
    That's something my missed companion Cube would not have done. He was not trying to kill me. (there's a funny sphere/WCC debate on the Steam forums)

And DONE ! http://g3n3tix.free.fr/files/gallery/picture.php?/86/category/5 :rock:

Last edited: 6 Nov 2007
  11. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

I can only get #2 adn #4 done, can't get #3... is that the ball catcher?

12. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Pretty good map. Really not as difficult as those yahoos over at TWHL are saying.

13. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Nice, it's not particularly hard to see what you have to do, but it is very tricky!!

It's good to see something a bit more challanging than the actual game!

14. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, the energy-ball-catcher is causing me headaches too.

It looks like it's being buggy.....but it's quite possible I'm just being a nub and missing something stupid.

I can get the energy ball into the small thin corridor-like chamber that has the catcher at the end of it....but the ball seems to just fly into the catcher (or hit the wall it's mounted on, sometimes) and vanish....without triggering it :/

Bug? Or am I supposed to have 'activated' the catcher or something (altho I don't rmemeber any of the ones in portal needing that) first? Or what?

15. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

That's a nice map, but it made me open Portal up again so I may not escape for a few days, cya.

16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Not a particularly fun map in my opinion. I got very annoyed when I caught out by the energy ball as I was going through the doors a couple of times.

17. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Yeah the energy ball seems buggy, the first time it did the same thing to me.
    You have to line it up real good so it goes traight into the catcher. Otherwise it just goes through the wall. Weird.

18. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

Hmm ok, cheers for the info. Not sure I can be bothered to go back and get it perfect....for me the enjoyment of the puzzles is working out what to do, not the over-and-over attempts to actually do it.

19. tribalman

tribalman What's a Dremel?

i just dowloaded and downloaded this map. it looked very daunting the first time i walked into the main room. it was kind of buggy in that the energy ball wouldn't impact the wall, but either a bit off the wall/floor or go through the first layer and reflect off one behind. and some of the physics seemed off. might have to do with different settings in the game that i changed. it was a decent level. any others made yet?

Tags: Add Tags