1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows "Big" MS news at CES this year.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neogumbercules, 2 Jan 2008.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

So there are rumors abound that Microsoft is set to reveal some big news at CES. What is it is anyone's guess. One guess I've heard is that they will unveil another (what is this, like #6) SKU that includes HD-DVD. Who knows if that's gonna be what it is or not, but for the purpose of discussion I'll share my views on this. If it becomes for the purpose of playing games that would pretty much be MS giving a big 'ol middle finger to everyone who already bought a 360 (if the 30%failure rate wasn't bad enough). It was obvious from the start that games were going to require more than just a single DVD, and manufacturers aren't going to want to have 3+ disc games because it costs them that much more to manufacture and print the things. So yeah, if (big if) that does become a reality, I might as well stick my 360 in the closet because I'll have nothing to play a year from then and there's no way I'd be able to sell the thing. It'd be like trying to find CD games on the PS2 (yeah, they exist!). There'd be no way in hell I'd go out and buy another 360 because if I did I might as well go find Bill Gates, drop my knickers, and bend over. So yeah, if that does happen, oh man, that would be bad.

Not saying it will. It could still just be strictly for playing the movies, if in fact this unsubstantiated HD-DVD rumor is actually true. But you do have to kinda wonder why MS would waste their time and money manufacturing and marketing a new HD-DVD SKU strictly for movies when the format is already apparently losing by a considerable margin to Blu-Ray. Doesn't seem like a good investment.

Anyway, what are your thoughts, forum people?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I have to agree with you about the HD-DVD drive, that would be a bit of a pain if they start shifting the games over. Quite a few people (I suspect) would just emmigrate to the PS3 in the hope that they would have a more sensible console, especially after the outlay necessary to get a HD drive'd 360...

Maybe it's a big raft of exclusive games or something.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I hope that they'll announce the HD-DVD drive can be used to play games! That would sort it all out IMHO, especially as you get the drive + dvds from £99.99!

4. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

360 with HDDVD seems odds on.

5. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

What would be the point in even having a Xbox360 SKU with HD-DVD when you can buy the add on easily enough.

I doubt that games will start being released in HD-DVD format, because that would totally screw over people who do not have the add-on or do not have this new SKU.

6. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Yeah, MS aren't stupid. They aren't going to **** everyone.

My guess is something to do with LIVE....

7. Major

Major Guest

Hopefully the news will be the 360 is going to be stopped in Production because it sux! :D

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I'm gonna guess at either a new SKU and/or something to do with their mobile gaming 'platform', in whatever form it may take.

<A88>

9. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Yeah that was exactly my thought, too. What's the point in releasing an HD-DVD installed SKU that only plays HD-DVDs if they already have the player. If they do decide to do it, there really wouldn't be much point unless it played games. People who already have the separate player are gonna feel pissed because they wasted their $100 bucks (though I suspect they already do) and the regular owners are going to feel cheated because they are lacking a feature that, by all accounts and purposes, should have been included to begin with.

10. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

this would still **** over the consumer, as inevitably all the studios would start putting out their games on hd-dvd, forcing everyone who hasn't already to shell out the extra $$$ for the hd-dvd drive. (which i believe is still around $200CDN)

11. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Nah, They'll announce a BD External drive to cover all the bases. I think the reason they haven't integrated the HD-DVD drive yet is because they're still on the fence when it comes to the format war.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Why the HELL is everyone going nuts over this "If they release games on HD DVD ill be pissed".

They aren't going to be STUPID for crying out loud - What's wrong with multiple DVD? It's not like we haven't put up with multiple disk games in previous lives.

And even if they DID release games on HD DVD they sure as hell will have the DVD alternatives - but why would they? It would just cause extra cost and no PC has a HD DVD so porting games will be harder.

I don't understand the stress everyone is making - the thing you should be concerned about is that WILL IT BE QUIET? If not, it's useless as a HD DVD player. The devil will wear ice skates before they introduce a BD drive - why reinforce Sony's model further? VC1 is a Microsoft codec used in HD DVD as well so the more of them there are out there, the more likely someone will buy something with a Microsoft patent attached.

13. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

My guess was going to be a BD-Rom add on (though as Bindi says why would they do that, it would only reinforce Sony's business model), but it could actually be something like "Zomg we fix0red live" or making Live free..
    Ahh who am I kidding, MS will charge all the time consumers will pay.

Still, I will be interested to see what the announcement will be.

14. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

probably be the pvr version being announced with internal hd-dvd rom and a bigger hd

15. naokaji

naokaji whatever

bigger hdd, proper cooling and hddvd integrated at same price... *wishful thinking*

but woudnt qualify as big news in my opinion. it would have to be a complete new product for that, sooo... MSphone or psp clone?

16. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

MSphone I would have to personally doubt as an option as MS already sell Windows Mobile to phone companies and as such already have a foot hold in that market.
    A hand held doesn't seem too far fetched but I don't think the xbox brand is yet strong enough to warrant that.
    As for the pvr 360, that would almost seem to be counter productive as they already have media centre and media extender on the 360.

Not saying that it WONT be one of those things, just giving reasons why I personally don't think its likely.

Having said all that, have MS said that it would even be 360 related? It could be something Windows/PC related or it could just be the whole Bill Gates stepping down ceremony thing that they said they would do.
    DX10 for XP perhaps? (as if)
    Official word on the next Windows iteration (Vienna)?
    Home automation systems?
    Skynet?
    Killer robots of doom?
    Killer robots that hunt down and kill PS3's? :p

Ahh gotta love speculation.

Bindi; will anyone from Bit be going and bringing us coverage this year?

17. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

my guess: a black External HD-DVD Drive to go with the Elite.

18. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

What absolute rubbish. Have you any idea how little actual game media costs to produce? Here's a hint: **** all. The overwhelming majority of the cost of making a video game relates to the actual development.

AH

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Absolutely true. A DVD costs about a penny to print - the cost of designing and printing the cover sheet is greater.

I think Blademrk is right - black external HD DVD drive :rolleyes: let down+++

One for the shooting at the stands - Zune phone :D:D

20. naokaji

naokaji whatever

dunno... but maybe we all forgot the most likely thing (including me), Windows Server 2008....

Tags: