1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard unaffected by recession

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

with the cash blizzard rakes in with WoW, I bet they could pay off the $700Bn crisis.

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

(Fixd.)
    Yeah, I wouldn't have thought the tobacco or heroin industries are feeling the pince either.

4. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

i have read the "entertainment value" argument before, which is certainly true of some games (and i probably would put WoW in that category as an ex player who spent alot of time on it when i was at uni), but certainly the bulk of games cant claim the same. £10 a month for unlimited play is definately good value if your staying in alot, as with all the mmo's, but the console games etc where your paying £40 a pop and getting maybe 20 hours out of it (if you can be bothered to finish it)....not so much
    I think the true sign of the credit crunch is retro gaming - i can't be alone in thinking to myself "well i could spend money on <insert new game here>, which sure looks pretty but is probably dull and uninspired...or i can dig out my deus ex cd's and give it another whirl"

5. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Blizzard and valve should unite.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Really: No.

7. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

only in my nightmares

8. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Why should Blizzard and Valve unite?
    Its better to have competition to drive innovation and give consumers better value. ;)

Also, I think the value argument does hold water.
    £45 for a console game or usually £25 for all but the newest PC games should at least provide 20+ hours of entertainment.
    Some provide much more like WoW, CoD4 etc.
    I can't think of anything else in the entertainment genre that provides so many hours per £.
    Cinema here costs £7.50 for a ticket for around 2 hours.
    Eating out costs upwards of £25 per head at any place nicer than Burger King.

Worst-case scenario, a game provides around £2 per hour value and that's before you consider you can trade them in against new games etc. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Oct 2008
  9. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I would say it's rather blinkered thinking to assume they're immune to the effects of recession. Granted, their WoW subscriptions are raking in the big bucks for Blizzard now, but things can and often do change - the modern games industry hasn't really suffered through a major economic downturn like the one we're told to expect. It is still a relatively youthful industry, arguably no more than 20 years old. I can't help feeling that luxury spending on games and other leisure activities will be the first things to go when casual gamers are tightening their belts, especially given the extensive range of free MMORPGs available. I suppose, like most things, time will tell though.

10. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

A FPS company merging with an RPG company lol never never never Value & Blizz should stay away from each other.

11. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

If only development was that simple, I'm sure both companies would argue that they can do anything if they put their minds to it, but it would definitely be a sad day if we saw Valzard rear its ugly head/name :p

12. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

@Teq

the sad thing is that we already had a preview of it, Flagship Studios.

13. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Then they would be swallowed up by EA, and I for one don't want to see FIFA: Azeroth edition

14. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Oh snap lol

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

hell not, that would open a rift in the time space fabric and suck us all in before the LHC starts working...

16. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

Is everyone forgetting the Activision - Blizzard merge?

Tags: Add Tags