1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Blu & Red Aluminium - Sponsored by Gelid - Updated 27/03

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sam__, 15 Apr 2020.

1. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

No pictures for this update but just to say that I'm chugging through the hand painting part of this. All the small areas that it's wasteful to spray. There will be a decent update coming soon! with lots of pics.

2. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Got a few fittings in a couple of days ago. Mostly right angles along with two temperature probes, which will connect to the motherboard and be used to control the fan speeds on the push/pull radiator fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also took delivery of two 300mm reservoirs! They look amazing, and huge next to the 150mm ones I already had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's them sitting in the mounting brackets.
    [​IMG]

Also wired up the power button.
    [​IMG]

And yet to make up the headphone jack for the front panel.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of the push pull fans on the radiators. The motherboard doesn't have enough fan headers to control 17 fans that will be in the case so I made up some distro headers for the radiator fans. Takes six fans and connects them to a single header on the motherboard. One distro board for each radiator fan set so they can be controlled independently. I had the taco feedback connected to the fan connected closest to the input so the motherboard has some feedback, and all the fans are running from the same PWM output source.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These will me mounted in the back corner of the case so no need to spray them or anything as they will never be seen.

Thanks again to Gelid for the support!
    [​IMG]

ivory2k19, Toru and kim like this.
  3. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Time for an update. Decided to learn a new skill in developing the water cooling for this build. Never used hardline before so this was fun.

All bending done freehand. None of these fancy custom tools!

4 x 1m of tube.
    [​IMG]

The first bend on the left did not go very well, however the second on the right was a big improvement.
    [​IMG]

Lined up.
    [​IMG]

A few adjustments later:
    [​IMG]

It fits!
    [​IMG]

The tube from the pump to the CPU block was a real fun one!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A wild third reservoir appears! Two big ones left a huge gap so I thought I'd fill it with a smaller res. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Then to the drainage port. This was what I came up with from all the parts I had available. It's quite bulky though so I'd like to make it smaller by using a male to male threaded part instead of the fitting + tubing + fitting.

[​IMG]

Also you get a sneaky peak of the new (to me) GPU after the Vega56 died. 1070 TI is the replacement.

[​IMG]

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Is that layout making some of the res's just fat parts in the tubing? (Yeah, the part of my brain that describes stuff is broken.) You might have some issues with it with air in the lines, or during filling.

Sam__ likes this.
  5. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Spot on! The smaller res is in the CPU loop with the left had res. It basically serves as a 50mm diameter piece of tubing. Did a tester fill this morning as I was concerned the pump would not have enough power to push up through the res and into the taller one. It worked perfectly! Filled easily, as you would any other loop just by adding coolant and cycling the pump.

6. kim

kim hardware addict

That's massive with the tubbing and res mounted :rock:...and, great bends for a first hard tubbing experience BTW, loving the curves :thumb:

Last edited: 18 Jun 2020
    Sam__ likes this.
  7. MaximumBubbleMods

MaximumBubbleMods Minimodder

Now that is some good looking high capacity water cooling! :rock:

Sam__ likes this.
  8. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Thanks for all of the kind words :)

Here's the latest. I was testing the RGB distribution PCB's compatibility with the Aorus motherboard RBG output. Removing the arduino controller and running the MOSFETs directly from the motherboard seemed to work, but the colours were all coming out as the opposite! This is because the signals were being inverted by the MOSFETs, so I tried driving the LEDs directly from the motherboard and it fixed the issue although the red was a little on the orange side.
    [​IMG]

Looking at the scope signal and taking a very low exposure picture of the LED I could tell the green LED was still slightly on when the motherboard thought it was off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

An additional pull up to the green LED driver line fixed the problem and the red was looking red again. If you compare the two pictures of the LED you can see in this one there is only one die illuminated, the red. As opposed to above where the green is very slightly on as well.
    [​IMG]

Also added a side mounted connector for the motherboard cable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canardwc, Cheapskate and Defyant Mods like this.
  9. kim

kim hardware addict

I noticed that electronic has no secrets for you :jawdrop:, the amount of work on PCBs you've done for this build is impressive, and these are really pleasant steps to follow :thumb:

Sam__ likes this.
  10. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Thanks Kim. There may yet be more to come!

First day with a very low chance of rain today so lots of spray painting is going to be happening in the garden. Laying the ground work for the beautiful red/blue fade.

11. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I find electronics and pcb making very sexy!!!!! awsome stuff :rock::rock::rock:

Sam__ likes this.
  12. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Bravo, that's remeber me my electrotechnic baccalauréat :clap::clap::grin::grin::thumb::thumb:

Sam__ likes this.
  13. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Finally the weather has cleared up enough to get some painting done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jean R built and Cheapskate like this.
  14. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Sneak peak - the final build has begun!

[​IMG]

15. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Solo... This was really close to being finished but now I'm moving house! Will be back on this in a week or so.

16. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

That really does look GOOD The patterns work really well and i can see how using the RGB of the fans is going to work in with the colours :rock:

Good luck with the move :D

Sam__ likes this.
  17. MaximumBubbleMods

MaximumBubbleMods Minimodder

I agree with Defyant! This looks great. I think your earlier testing with painting and pasterns payed off big in the finished panels

Sam__ likes this.
  18. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Can't wait to finish it off. But first I have to paint an entire house.

19. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Just wanted to give a little update on where things are. I've started building my office room in our new house. This is where it's at now, with the floor nearly down. Shouldn't be too long before desks are up and this can be finished off!

[​IMG]

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Snap-fit flooring on a square room? Preposterous! You are supposed to put in a room with at least two diagonal edges and an attached hallway.