1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Budget (<£200) desk chair recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeStorm, 15 Mar 2020.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hi,
    As above, I'm looking to buy a chair for my other half, we both currently use standard dining room chairs which I don't mind but she mentioned she does today so thought I'd have a look.

Don't really have any budget for a chair but figured I'd ask what kind of options there are in the low budget area to try and get something half decent she'd appreciate :)

Thanks,
    George

Edit:
    Meant to say, I've had a quick look at 2ndhnd.com as I know it's been recommended in the past, and they've got a couple of models under £100, but I've no idea if they're any good/would be worth it over a cheap generic chair?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

They'll be better than a cheap generic chair. They're proper high quality office chairs. I don't know how any of them sit, but I do know that higher end chairs don't fail on the arse foam which is where cheap chairs always fail. IE I've bought lots of £100 chairs but after a year you end up sitting on wood or metal.

I'd imagine the foam is the most expensive part of the chair.

Of course some of it depends on her size, height, weight etc. I won't ask those questions as I know it usually means instant death..

Just find something you like and then Google/YT it. Or find the manu's website with their guidelines on size and etc. That's the thing that trips most people up. Cheap chairs are made "one size fits all" but really it doesn't.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Take her to ikea, have her sit in the chairs?

4. Valo

Valo Minimodder

I had a bit of a similar problem recently, ended up buying a 2nd hand herman miller setu - you can have one just under your budget if you shop around. It's a pretty good compromise between being actually usable as an office chair and not looking like a alien vs predator prop (which was one of the other half's requirements). Now looking to get another one because she won't give mine up!

5. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Priceless... but not, at the same time (cost of second chair?).

6. GeorgeStorm

Well since I'm now working from home for the next who knows this has jumped up the priority queue, and as has my budget, now thinking I'd be happy spending in the £100-200 category, which gives a lot more options on 2ndhnd.com for example.

7. Vault-Tec

8. GeorgeStorm

Potentially.
    Pushing the budget if I intend on buying two, and one of the things I find annoying is seemingly difficult to find decent reviews of chairs, and whilst I know they're a very personal thing, you'd think they'd be able to be compared to each other, especially in some areas such as material quality etc.

I don't think I've ever had/used a high back chair, so when I considered spending more one of the first that caught my eye was this:
    https://www.2ndhnd.com/collections/...scale-freedom-chair-recovered-in-new-fabric-1

One of the potential negatives being fabric vs mesh I guess. Also not sure on the recovered version vs some of the others, descriptions aren't always great to indicate differences between versions it seems.

9. Vault-Tec

Don't buy the freedom without the headrest. I had the headrest and it was great, but people hated the non headrest model.

Note the back is not fixed on those. It's made to move backwards. So you may not like it.

10. Vault-Tec

Better idea. That guy shifts large stock. Why not make him an offer on two? He's a nice guy. I was going to get my Embody from him and he offered me a great deal but it had two holes in the fabric from someone fitting the headrest and removing it.

11. GeorgeStorm

The ebay store you linked above?
    I'll have a look at some of their stuff, if they're a little flexible on price as well that sounds good, will see what stuff they've got for under 200.

12. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

13. Vault-Tec

They don't come in weight capacity afaik. They do aeron in different sizes but that's the width.

Just do your research first OBS.

14. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Aye... pointless buying a 'posh' chair if I'm gonna wear it out 'cos I'm too 'bulky' for it... as I tend to do with many of the chairs I've had.

EDIT:
    HM quote the Celle being 'suitable for up to 159kg' (25 stone to ancient f@rts like me)... ideal.

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Sizes B & C have a higher load limit than size A, 350 lbs.

16. Vault-Tec

Ah I didn't know that.

17. Vault-Tec

The Aeron has a mesh seat. I'd imagine that may be why they do stronger versions.

But yeah the Celle has a regular cloth on foam on suspension seat so you'll be fine :)

18. GeorgeStorm

Does that corportespec company offer warranty with their chairs @Vault-Tec do you know? Site wasn't overly clear.

Looking at an orangebox do, quick like it being made in the UK and with a focus on being recyclable/being made of recyclable materials I believe.

19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i got my aeron off that 2ndhnd guy it was a size C it was listed as being used and a few marks on, but when it was delivered it was in pristine condition. think i paid £250 in post via some random pallet delivery company

20. Vault-Tec

I'm not sure tbh. I've never needed any so far. I do know that Humanscale arms cost about £400 though lol. So I just bought another chair :D

Hermans are built to last though. The only failure I have ever seen was the foam pads cracking on the arms and covers and so on are cheaply available. Do note though that back then I would spend about 14 hours per day in said chair, so they lived a very hard life.