1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Budget build advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sp0rk, 8 Jun 2012.

1. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

I need to build a new PC for my dad, he's going to use it for general word processing, browsing the net, watching iPlayer etc.. fairly low spec and has about £260 or so to spend (already got a copy of Windows 7), can push a bit further if it's worth it.

I'm struggling a bit because I'm not used to speccing such low end kit! Doesn't need a big hard drive, 500GB is more than enough.

Cheers,
    Jim

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Linky

Go for something like that. It'll be more than enough to do day to day tasks. You could save even more money by dropping the case and PSU and buying a case that comes with one. Though obviously they won't be as good quality.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

I'd personally check out dell or pc world simply because been tech support for the life of the pc can become very anoying, as I'd it breaks your dad will be on the phone asking for that instant fix

4. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: A voice of experience there and I'd suggest exactly the same. Perhaps the only other consideration might be if the portability of a laptop might be of use. I'd suggest something as low noise as possible and ideally with an SSD if you can.

5. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

To be honest I've been tech support for the last 20 years so I think I can manage for the future life.. many of the problems have been due to poor build quality of store-bought computers.

He's not keen on a laptop, can't get on with the touchpad and prefers a mouse!

If I were to push the budget to £300 would that yield any gains in spec?

6. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Exactly the same spec as noizdaemon, but drop the Core 1000 and CX430, and instead get a Coolermaster Elite 430 which comes with a Cooler master 460W PSU. Saves you about a tenner.

7. noizdaemon666

In spec yes, in onscreen speed etc, no. There's no real point spending more as it isn't going to make a difference from what you've said is being done with it.

Yeah I considered dropping those two and using something like the 430 but I thought I might as well as it was in budget :hehe:

8. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Thanks Noiz - I'm gonna go for what you suggested originally but with the case swap. Might also use the extra cash for a quieter CPU cooler.

Really appreciate the help, better get the credit card out now! :)

9. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Sorry - another question. Just wondering if an SSD would be a good idea for this build? He doesn't tend to save a lot of stuff on it, very little in fact. It's mostly used for browsing the web (family history, etc).

I've no experience with SSD's but it just seems a decent idea.. how would it stand up in the long run? Happy to spend a bit more if it means a super quick boot time etc.

I think I may have a spare 500GB drive lying around somewhere that he can use, should he need to store files etc.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2012
  10. elneckio

elneckio What's a Dremel?

Just a thought but maybe a Nettop machine (Acer Revo or similar) would suit him ?

It is within cost and you could buy a Linux version to install your Windows 7 on it.

Obviously limited upgrade options and not as much fun to build but might be worth considering.

11. noizdaemon666

If you can squeeze a 60GB in I'd go for it. I just just one for my rig and it's awesome :D

12. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Is Crucial M4 the one to go for? 64GB should be plenty.. he certainly won't be installing games on it!

13. noizdaemon666

That or a Samsung 830 of the same size. Those two seem the best in terms of speed, reliability and cost.

sp0rk likes this.
  14. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Perfect, thanks! :)