1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Building a Modular PSU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 21 Sep 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

neat mod but why on earth does the atx power (24pin) need tobe modular?!

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

you may want to use it as a second PSU

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Because it just plain looks cool.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Thats is well neat, quite litterally.
    Nice job.

Sam

6. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

nice job but really question the point. Modular ATX power supplied (silent and otherwise) are very freely available and not expensive at all. Doing it yourself I would worry massively about the safety doing it and afterwards, not to mention the probable loss of efficiency. You really think a serial port is up to the job? I certainly don't considering how rubbish they are.

I have to say it's a nice guide but only as an extreme modding guide not a serious idea with any merit.

7. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

How much current is that db25 connector rated for? Same question with the microphone jacks?

8. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

I second the "I'm failing to see the point", err, point.

First of all, the end result looks like a £5 piece of crap you can buy from any dodgy computer shop on the face of the planet. Then cross that with something that looks like a dog tried to eat it.

I suppose if you wanted a gnarled piece of metal to call a powersupply, you've got the formula spot on.

9. kai5183

kai5183 What's a Dremel?

keep up ur good work!!!

10. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Interesting article.

Love the humorous comments lol.

11. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Well, for those of you missing the point or thinking it looks bad, keep in mind that this is an "unpolished" work meant to illustrate how you can do this yourself. It's not even painted, which would make it look a LOT better!

Here are the reasons I figured it warranted attention:

1) Say you want to build an HTPC out of spare parts. You have an older, low-power PSU - spend $20 and make it nicely modular and perfectly fit the theme of your case, or spend $75 on a boring, black modular unit with cheap plastic connectors that has low efficiency and overly high wattage?

2) Say you're looking for something that is unique to your mod. This allows you to choose the connectors that YOU see fit - a 25-pin and some mic jacks are just the tip of the iceberg, really. And, building it yourself allows other stylistic elements that you wouldn't have with a normal PSU.

Basically, that's why I felt this deserved a little love. Lots of people in the PL and Modding forums ask just how to do this, knowing that it can be done and not wanting to spend an extra $30 over a non-modular PSU for just some crappy plastic connectors.

Hope that explains it! As I said, it's not for everyone, and I understand you can 'just go buy one'. But then again, that's what sorts a mod from a pre-mod, and also allows you to do lots of little things differently than a manufacturer, which will use whatever are the cheapest connections to get the job done.

12. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

Surely choosing connectors that you see fit would involve choosing something which is rated for the current which will be drawn through it? It really can't be hard to get hold of a pair of atx connectors for instance so that it would still be modular but not shifty.

13. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Sure! But depending on the setup, you *can* get away with a serial port. ;) It really depends on the system that you build to connect to the PSU. The serial port was chosen for an ease of wiring illustration and because it looks different than the ATX connector. But honestly, it won't catch your computer on fire unless you've done something very, very wrong. ;)

Though your rating concern is valid, unless you're trying to run some 650-750w PSU and a quad core with SLI, chances are you won't blow things up. I'm pretty sure the fragility of these things is a touch over-emphasised. It *IS* a good warning, though, and people should be careful. Maybe I should include that in the article.

14. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

Maybe you should have an attempt at making the final product look finished, than look like a pile of crap, before you go posting articles about it on a rather large enthusiast-based computer website.

15. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

As far as I know the 5v stand by line on an ATX psu is considered very low current, however the ATX specification says this should be 720mA. This suggests to me that the +3.3, +5, and +12 lines to the motherboard will have considerably more than 1 amp drawn through them, as such this dsub connector isn't actually suitable.

16. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

:sigh: Guess you can't please everyone. My point wasn't to create a finished masterpiece, it was meant to explain the basics of how to go about this type of project - somehow going through a three-stage painting process, vinyl dye, etc. to really top it off seemed to be missing the idea. I'm sorry if you felt otherwise, but it appears other people seemed to at least get the drift. I felt that if painting and everything were included, you'd have also missed exactly how well the connectors can hide the metalworking job - which would have made it seem more like you need perfectly-filed cuts and a sharp eye to do this, which is simply not the case.

Anyhow, thanks for your comments, though I think "pile of crap" and telling me how large the site I work for might be a bit unnecessary. ;)

17. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I dont understand how someone can call it piece of crap....

i find it a great article..

besides that.. not every psu is modular... also some people need psu's with unusual connector positions calbe lenght whatever for projects... so the article definitly has its value even if you can pick up a modular psu at a shop.

18. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

Firstly I'd like to say thank you for making this guide, highlighting that even the simple PSU can be modded, just as much as the case itself. It was informative, clear, well written & very easy to understand.

However, I feel that the way you've been slated by some of the "Members" regarding your choice of parts is uncalled for. It's quite clear that this isn't the finished product, and mearly a Guide or a How To. The Modder that would undertake such a task (Not me, I'm not one for playing with power supplies!) would no doubt spend more time in finishing the PSU to a MotM standard. The illistration of how you can use different connectors was something that sparked a glimmer of thought within my somewhat "Empty at Work" noggin.

These Members who slated your write up would, no doubt, demand the your respect when you post in thier logs, so I can't work out how you've remained so calm, go figure. Especially given your position as Bit-Tech Staff, although abuse of power may not be looked upon well I guess.

Once again thank you for the How To Guide, it was a very interesting read.

19. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I think it's a great article, it illustrates the concept behind it, you can change the design to be your own. Isn't that what modding is all about?! Thanks for posting this.

20. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

Trolls go home. This is a great mod. Anyone that says otherwise is no true modder and has no vision. I can't wait to start ripping apart some old power supplies.

Tags: Add Tags