1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Capcom joins PC Gaming Alliance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Are Valve not apart of it? If not the alliance is useless, Valve are probably the biggest supporters of the PC platform.

3. xAx

xAx What's a Dremel?

And Blizzard

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

Blizzard is a part of Activision. :)

5. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

pc gaming defenders can talk all they want but its action that produces results, that said I was a big fan of resident evil when I played it on the ps2 but on the pc the controls don't make for a enjoyable
    game. some of these games ported to the pc need to be upgraded to the quality of the mainstream games of the pc. long live pc gaming!!!!!

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Actually, about all I see the PCGA as a platform for is Epic to whine about lack of sales... sorry, I mean "piracy" on the PC of their games and therefore they aren't going to be porting other games to the platform, and to provide Microsoft with a backstop position so that when the debacle that is Games for Windows (Live) manages to stick the knife in and twist on PC gaming, they can stand there and say, "No, we didn't do that! Honest! We tried to save it!"

Bah, every time I read anything about the PCGA, I get deeply cynical.

7. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

I don't think it means much to be in this alliance if Epic are in it

8. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

That's what I was thinking.
    Epic have consistently and repeatedly stabbed PC gamers in the back for over a year now.

9. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

yeah, i did a double take at seeing epic in the list. Then again the various idiotic statements by CliffyB don't necessarily reflect the feelings of the company as a whole i guess.

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

i think the prime goal of the PCGA should be to persuade it's members to embrace PC gaming in a proper way, and proving with sales that it CAN work. Epic is a prime candidate for improvement, so they fit right in. The same goes for Microsoft and their *shudder* GFWL *shudder* program, that's slowly draining all the fun out of PC gaming.

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm not surprised Valve aren't in it. Arguably the more other people leave the PC gaming market, the more Steam becomes upiquitous. Besides, even if Valve joined, I bet the rest of the allience would be keen for them to use their Steam sales figures as evidence PC gaming isn't dying, but again that would just create competition for Valve.

12. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Until they tell Epic to **** off it's more like the 'PC Backstabbing and Anal Raping Alliance'.

Baz and Guest-16 like this.
  13. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

is it just me or does the PCGA remind you of the Film Actors Guild ;)

14. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

LOL, I love the sneaky jab at Epic there - haha. They deserve it the damn ba*****s.

15. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Come now, even The Orange Box is on consoles. Your argument doesnt show backstabbing or anything, Gears 2 was purchased by M$ for console exclusivity.

Anyways hope this doesnt mean GFWL doesnt grow in strength.

16. mezz

mezz What's a Dremel?

The first thing they need to do is stop all the "Games for Windows" nonsense. Especially the Live side, GTA was a complete mess just to install, and it seems getting the Fallout expansion is even worse! If professional games journalists were having trouble getting it then what about the average gamer? No wonder people avoid the complications of PC if that is what's involved.

17. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

so far a useless organization, I would love for them to actually do something to help PC gaming, but so far they have done absolutely nothing.

Also, to SSJ12, the orange box is on consoles, but it is also on PC, Gears 2 is not and epic have made some bizarre and incorrect statements about Pc gaming, BIG difference. Valve games are aslo developed with PC in mind, unlike most console ports.

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

why do they join such useless alliance when a very simple act would be much, much more benifitial to PC gamer: Stardock's PC gamer's bill of rights

PC gaming alliance's name is tamed by Epic's incorrect statements about PC gaming. unless they kick Epic out, it's never going to be respected.

19. AltruiSisu

AltruiSisu Yep

for the ill-informed or lazy buggers out there...

1) Gamers shall have the right to return games that don’t work with their computers for a full refund.
    2) Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.
    3) Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game’s release.
    4) Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.
    5) Gamers shall have the right to expect that the minimum requirements for a game will mean that the game will play adequately on that computer.
    6) Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won’t install hidden drivers or other potentially harmful software without their consent.
    7) Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.
    8) Gamers shall have the right to not be treated as potential criminals by developers or publishers.
    9) Gamers shall have the right to demand that a single-player game not force them to be connected to the Internet every time they wish to play.
    10) Gamers shall have the right that games which are installed to the hard drive shall not require a CD/DVD to remain in the drive to play.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20027

at the end of the article, there is an added response to these 'rights' by the president of the PCGA.

20. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

the alliance is great, but epic being the mouthpiece is a bad thing they literally only whine about sales as said above. the rest seem to be good partners. PC games wont die they might just lose the support of the big game developers but that means more money for the small ones if they capitalize.

Tags: Add Tags