1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Card decoration the easy way

Discussion in 'Modding' started by icarus, 22 Jan 2004.

1. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

:idea: Hi well the first thing i have to say is this.
    this is a method for decorating the agp cards and pci cards.
    what you will need

1. Agp cards/pci cards (obviosly)
    2.about 10 mins per card
    3.Uv security marker pen (£1.79 from WH-smiths)
    4.Uv cathode kit

step 1
    find a work surface that can be classed as anti-static. i used my case pannel and ran a wire from the pannel to the nearest earth source (radiator pipe works)

step 2
    remove one card at a time to minimise chances of damage
    and get your marker pen ready.

step 3
    turn your card so that the front edge is easy to access and start colouring the edge. you can tell how much you have done as the pen leaves a darker glossyer edge that before. repeat for the edge opposite the input connections.

step 4
    this is a personal preference but it didn't damage any of my parts or cards.
    keeping your pen at the ready you car use it to decorate the tops of the capacitors on your cards as these are metal they reflect the light very well and create a stunning effect.

step 5
    repeat for all the cards. the pen can also be used for many other things inside your case but beware the effect is un-removable and any stray lines are highly visable.

Hope you people will find this an easyer alternative to using paints and its alot easyer to do and is alot safer in the hands of a n00b modder also cheaper and can be used again and again.

icarus
    p.s will post photos as soon as my camera is back from the blagger who has it.

2. Jpantoga

Jpantoga What's a Dremel?

well you better get those pics soon :thumb: like the guide :D

3. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

no problems m8 as i will be posting pics of tron as it goes allong its path to glory.
    if you want to know tron is a case mod idea i had along time ago and is based on this.
    most modders go and buy a realy expensive case like a coolermaster or a Li but my idea is to convert a cheap case into a work of art to see if i can test weather or not there is a reason to buy a case that costs alot and then spend more on it or if you can get the same or better form a cheap case with the same work and money put into it.

keep your eyes open for tron as he's gona be a modern work of art at a cheaper price.
    heres the case i plan to use
    my case

4. dom_

dom_ --->

you should really apply some sort of protective layer over the UV pen to make the effect last, spray some plastic with the varnish or whatever you wish to use and the use a multimeter to see if it transfers current. If not mask off connectors etc.. then spray for a more long term effect.

Also more expensive cases are expensive because they are better... They have better ventillation easier access more features etc. By the time you "update" a cheap case it wont be cheap and the time means you might aswell pay for quality

Last edited: 1 Feb 2004
  5. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

Wish i had enough room in my case to do this....

6. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

hypocrisy86
    Wish i had enough room in my case to do this....

:eyebrow: do?........add pci cards?

7. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

pics!

8. benthekiller

benthekiller What's a Dremel?

yeh im gonna do this the day i get me new case, but doesnt the security marker come up in purple/pink? cos i looked for some fluo pens and they didnt have ny...

9. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Bitchin' idea- get pix NOW!

10. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?

11. Zoomer

Zoomer What's a Dremel?

this works on the motherboard pretty well although ya have to be carfull.

I did a pratice run on an old combo card first then decided to play with other things.

12. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

this idea was my first mod. but the pics are taking longer than i hoped im realy gona kill the lil @£$%@ when i get my hands on him. fyi the pen glows a blueish colour and if you look at your cards under blacklight you will notice they glow a bit already. this effect just causes the enhancement of this. the pens are indellable so the effect doesnt realy wear off very quickly at all. these pens are seigned to be for security so if they came off easily they wouldnt be of much use now would they. :D i promise as soon as i get hte lil bitch with my camera i will put up some pics as the effect is blimmin fantastic for the price it costs to do and the time it takes i have gotten to a fine 2 mins now as my friends have all asked me to do the same for them. the upside is i always tell them i need a pen to do it. have about 12 of them now :D

13. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

any joy on the pics yet?

14. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

nah sorry looks like you might just have to use your imagination for a while until i can borrow a camera tghen i will post a full guide for it not that its hard. :hip:

15. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

16. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

:D can be done this is a moding forum aye. just look for a guide or go to http://www.ebuyer.com they even do kits with all you need for a bloody cheap price i might add.

as for pics on my guide im making progress guys i have a mate who is on the case of lending me his camera and kicking some n00b head for me :nono:

17. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

:D can be done this is a moding forum aye. just look for a guide or go to http://www.ebuyer.com they even do kits with all you need for a bloody cheap price i might add.

as for pics on my guide im making progress guys i have a mate who is on the case of lending me his camera and kicking some n00b head for me :nono:

18. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

That is a really nice, easy mod - i'm really tempted to do this when i build my new rig! I always thought UV looked cak, but i quite like this! Guess i've matured... :)

19. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

holy thread revival batman!

nearly 3.5 years thats impressive!

Tags: