1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Carmack outlines vision for a new Quake

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jun 2011.

1. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

This is not news. This is a waste of space on the bit-tech site. I thought there was an article recently within Bit-Tech that said 'non-news' like this wouldn't be published? COme on, Bit-Tech - practice what you preach, please.
    The man says himself that there is nothing in production, nothing set for production, hence these are just musings and casual comments likely bandied about with no real meaning or agenda, or worse, distributed knowing the effect they will have on forums and news sites to garner more attention for iD software to hopefully hide the fact that they are an irrelevance these days, and have been for a while. When was the last decent iD game? Carmack often talks the talk but seems immobile on the quality front.

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Descent came out in 1995 and was full 3d.

3. greypilgers

+1 to this. Although would we class Descent as a proper First Person Shooter?

4. chrisb2e9

I would. It was played in first person perspective.
    And you shot stuff. Hence first person shooter.

5. greypilgers

Ha ha! Touche! Good call, my man. I stand corrected. You are an oak.

:thumb:

6. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Yes and no. OK, it predated Quake by a year or so but you were flying a ship, not there in person as it were. The HUD was a major ballache as parts of your view were perpetually blocked off. I played (and still have the original CDs for) Descent 1,2 & 3 but they never spelled FPS to me in the same way that Quake did. Space sim meets FPS and occasional puzzle game? Oh aye, that'd be Descent then. Pure FPS carnage and glory? Quake, hands down and no questions asked!

Need I even mention the multiplayer aspect and mods produced?

7. chrisb2e9

Meh, I still call it a first person shooter because it was played in that perspective. Not over the shoulder, not from behind a ship, but from the perspective of a pilot who happened to be in a ship.
    As for the hud. press f3 and it was gone.
    And if you replace the robots with zombies then you have the carnage you speak of. Although I think that shooting out screens, blowing up doors, reactors, masses of insane robots is carnage enough. Tit for tat.

And what about multiplayer? Descent had it in spades. I wasted many hours playing with friends via 14.4K modem or even on Kali.
    True there wasn't a lot for mods, but you could change sounds or make maps(I made some great ones(in my opinion)). Modding was in its infancy back then.

So quake first FPS? no.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

True, but PC isn't mentioned once in the artical.

9. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I acknowledge defeat! Quake was the first true FPS for me but then again I remember Legend as being a truly awesome RPG. Dinosaur? Me? Maybe a touch. Descent was many, many hours of fun. I wasn't on t'internet when it came out though so probably missed a lot. CS was my first online game and then only on HPB servers! Connection was so crap that the only way I could get kills was to leg it in to the room with a primed grenade and take as many of them with me as possible.

Yep, I noticed that too but Quake was PC all the way until significantly later in its life cycle. Quake, back in the day, was the game. The question of "Can it play Crysis?" has been bandied around so much now that it's a meme (my system has yet to answer this, don't know and don't care) but at the time it was very much a case of "Have you played Quake?" I had, I did and it has somewhat shaped gaming for me. Then again, I'm not the average bod and have been tinkering with PCs for 28 years now - I remember translating games from A N Other basic to MS Quick Basic so I could enter and then play them. Quake still is, and always will be, a milestone for many of us.

Should Mr Carmack provide Quake with modern graphics - I'd buy that for a dollar! Hell, I'd buy it for the national debt of a small, third world country!

10. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Last edited: 19 Jun 2011
  11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

quake 2 and wolfenstien enemy territory were really well done I thought

something about those games that really brings back a lot of good teamwork, cs was good too

and in quake 2- the duels were some of the best

12. altdoom

altdoom What's a Dremel?

I was actually thinking id should do this last night and then I read this article, weird.

13. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I like the fact he is realist enough to say it's mostly nostalgia that keeps the game fond in gamers minds. That's an honest and true quote if I ever saw one. Roll on Carmack, I'm with you in whatever you have planned next.

14. DocWolfe

DocWolfe What's a Dremel?

Good... can't beat a good shambler blasting you with his lightening bolts.

15. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Loved playing MP in the first Quake, doesn't quite feel the same now though.... :(

16. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

You think people back then moaned as much about going to 3d as we are today? :p

Yes I know we are talking two completely different technologies. Just a mildly amusing brainfart

17. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Carmack is a God of Gaming, and if you ever had the pleasure of spending a few days at iD you would heartily agree. He has done more to advance the FPS genre than the next 4 people below him (and those 4 people would agree).

Yours in iD Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

18. Ljs

Ljs Modder

FPS has moved on a bit now from those days. Personally I think they should spend their time creating a decent new IP (also what a lot of other people should do) unstead of floggin the only horse they have.

A new Quake game wouldn't really enter my line of sight unless it was utterly amazing which lets face it, itsn't going to happen.

Maybe revisit the Quake franchise after creating some else worthwhile to squeeze the life out of for another 15 years?

19. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Well they are working on Rage, iirc

20. Ghost_Bill

Ghost_Bill What's a Dremel?

3D Realms - 1995 - Terminal Velocity
    Does anyone remembers this one, similar to descent style but still quite good for its time.

Tags: Add Tags