1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Case Labs ST10 Project "HardLine"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by HammerForged, 18 Jan 2013.

1. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Pipe Bending 101 from 'B Negative'

Make up your own custom length fan splitters, something like this.

[​IMG][URL="http:

B NEGATIVE likes this.
  2. HammerForged

HammerForged What's a Dremel?

Thanks B. Yeah thats originally what I wanted to do but the local shop here was worried about the pipes draining correctly during the platting process. If all goes as planned there shouldnt be too many bends anyways but I think I may be getting the platting done for free so I kind of want to make their job as easy as possible.

Hopefully picking up a decent bender and taking my time will help ensuring the platting doesn't flake. If for some reason nickel doesn't work I'll looking into chrome or some other options.

Thank Big Elf! I've lurked that thread quite a bit and tried to pick up on as much as possible for this project.

Once I got all the material and tools to make my own splitters I think I would be better off and cheaper to just pick up the bit fenix ones.

Thanks for the input guys. :rock:

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

While I wouldn't disagree about the cost of making your own splitters you can reduce it to some extent by using small nose pliers to crimp the pins rather than a crimping tool.

I was of the same mind about making my own until I saw how untidy the fan splitters looked in my systems as the cable lengths of the Phobya/Bit Fenix splitters are all the same.

4. HammerForged

It is starting to look like plating the copper pipe like I wanted is not going to be a viable option. Im considering painting the pipe. :wth:

I know its probably crazy but I really don't want the raw copper look because all of my waterblocks are nickel plated. So I am reaching out to you all for color suggestions!

Right now the colors are black, red, and polished nickel. I have seen some chrome style paint but I not sure if that will work so well. Black and red are the other options. The motherboard and Corsair fans are the only red items right now everything else is black.

So what do you all think?

5. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

My limited experience with different brands of Chrome spray paint is not very good although I must say I never applied it to copper or other metals.

In short it never really hardens well, easy to smudge and just doesn't get that chrome shine to it. Also, due to the easy smudging/bad hardening, buffing it to create that shine also wasn't an option.

BUT, I might just have been doing it wrong, or been using the wrong paints.....Always wondered how they give plastic parts such a nice chrome finish...

6. HammerForged

Yes thats what I was afraid of as well. I can imagine it turning out like I would want it to.

On another forum a user suggested curling strips of paint like a barbershop pole. This gave me the idea to maybe wrap the pipe in wire or something like paracord. I still don't know yet but I'm just throwing out ideas. Shot your ideas my way if you have them!

7. HammerForged

Received the Koolance parts and the tubing bender today.

[​IMG]

I know, real men have bigger reservoirs but with having two it was the biggest I could go with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked the Rigid bender up off of Ebay from a government surplus place for cheap. It seems to still have nice tight alignment so it should work just fine.

Hopefully I can come up with some ideas of what to do with the copper pipe since plating is not an option anymore. If anyone has suggestions please let me know!

8. HammerForged

UPDATES!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up changing my mind and I am going to go with a raid 0, 3770k, and a Asus Maximus V Formula.

In the photo above its missing the bottom pump and the other set of fans but I finally had some time to make a little progress. Sorry for the lack of updates recently.

Everything is coming together nicely. I decide to go with a textured black paint for the copper pipe that matches the case finish very well.

Expect quite a few more updates in the rest of the week!

9. HammerForged

Another little update. Started laying some pipe :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually picked up some type L 1/2 OD copper pipe today from a local place and it actually bends really well with a bender. Much better than the type M I had before ( keeping collapsing in on itself). I would say soft is much easier to work with in tight places but the type L comes in straight lengths and looks better. The type L is pretty tough to use in tight situations as you can tell by looking at the short piece from the rad to cpu. I may try to redo it if I have some left over pipe. If you all see a better routing method let me know. Also from the rad to the pump could have one less bend.

So far the fittings seem to be doing okay. Hopefully the leak test proves it.

I didnt want the copper look either so I painted em black Don't shoot me please ha.

10. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Look Sweet. I really like the streight lines.
    Have you thought of how to drain the loop?

11. HammerForged

Thanks!

I know it will probably be a pain with the way the brass compression fittings work on hard pipe but I will probably just pop a fitting off at the pump and hold a pan under it when I need to drain. Should work okay hopefully. I really didnt want to add and complexity to the loop by putting in a drain. Also I was unable to find any of the right fittings. The copper line should reduce the amount of maintenance hopefully.

Also has anyone had any experience with these Koolance pump reservoir combos? Im having trouble getting the air out. I've tried shaking and tilting as well as adjusting the speed but it seems that the pump in sucking up the air bubbles that should normally be coming out.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

12. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

if its anything line the bay res they make then just leave the pump full speed for a few hours, then on slow. time to time tilt it side ways and forwards and back wards.

btw thos copper tubes look beutiful

and maybe something like this pump will make it easier draining

13. HammerForged

Yeah I think I am just not used to loops taking this long to bleed. It doesnt help where the pump is positioned. The bottom loop should be easier because the pump will be above the rad.

Thank you for your compliments!

14. HammerForged

Waiting on the dang GPU sli bridge to get here! :wallbash:

I do love this Aquacomputer blocks though. The EVGA backplates even work with them. Had to use to use some motherboard screws though ha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. HammerForged

Bent some more pipe tonight! AND put a fresh coat of paint on the Lamptron FC8 to match the case finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

Where did you get that backplate for the D5 pump?

17. HammerForged

If you talking about the black piece thats actually mounted to the case then its a Case Labs accessory that they offer.

http://www.caselabs-store.com/attachment-plate-small/

Everything on the pump is just a Koolance D5 pump kit.

Also another update!

Got the pipes installed:

[​IMG]

18. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Excellent work,Im liking the stacked pump and painted copper.

Great stuff!

19. HammerForged

Thanks B. I know its just PC building but its nice to hear that from a guy thats made so many awesome rigs and continues to make great builds. Keep up the good work.

On a side note. I've got the system up and running and good god Ivy Bridge is so damn hot. Even with a 480mm rad on it. I think the small die size and crap TIM really hurt the thermal transfer. Probably wouldn't even mater if I had 2 480s on it. Shoulda kept the 3930K :duh: Maybe Ivy-E will bring some new things to the table that make me wanna go back to the big boy chips.

The GPUs dont go above 33C though :brrr:

B NEGATIVE likes this.
  20. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

I mean this piece you have here, I've got the same pump kit as you and that never came with mine. Bought it less than a year ago too. Also the build is looking great; love the ST10 it's really is a case for life.

[​IMG]