1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changed mobo, user desktop folder cant be copied

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by psYCHopath, 16 Jul 2006.

1. psYCHopath

psYCHopath What's a Dremel?

:duh:
    I helped my friend to change mobo since the original ones cant be booted and added a new 80GB hdd

so now its new mobo, windows in new hdd(primary hdd), old hdd data was slaved. When the windows XP Pro installation was completed i couldnt access the old hdd "Desktop" folder "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop" heck even "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator"

is there a way for me to retrieve the data back? :idea:

2. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Im guessing it says its password protected or something like that. Just boot into the safe mode and transfer out all the data you need. Had the same thing happen on my moms laptop.

3. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

i had a similar problem transfering documents over to a pc. I found that as long as i used the same username and password as before it was fine

4. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

or use permissions to take ownership of the folder & files.

5. psYCHopath

psYCHopath What's a Dremel?

@tm36usa, this way couldnt work since i cant even access safe mode. (windows is not swap bootable if you use diffrent mobo)

@TheoGeo,hmmm great idea....will try that and let you guys know the result.

@BUFF, i cant even get the "desktop" folder properties cuz it show "0" files and "0" kb