1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Coffee table mod!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bboy_Jon, 13 Feb 2009.

1. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Heres my current coffee table...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont like it, but it is a good size...and I dont have money (well shouldnt spend my money) for a new one. So why not mod it?

I want to add a drawer (2 would be nice) to hide remotes/controls, and some papers that sit on my desk. How would I go about doing it? Any other ideas? Anything would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

sorry, completely off topic, but nice guitars:rock:

mvagusta likes this.
  3. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Lol, thanks! There is an acoustic in the back of my room (not pictured) and I just bought an acoustic bass today :/ lol

I need to stop spending money on them :(

4. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

well first thing is are you looking to change the feel of the table? how big are the drawers? how deep? how wide? what kind of hardware are you thinking you want to use? do you want them to slide? do you want the front panel to just fold down? do you want to have the face of the drawer covered?

my father has been working with wood professionally for over 30 years and I learned a fair amount from him growing up, so with some more details I would be glad to give you a little input

5. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

I really like the feel of the table...I honestly would love it if it just had a drawer. I want it to slide out. Nothing too big, just enough for some remotes and game controllers and what not

6. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Send me the Les Paul and I'll tell you what to do.

7. SkyLord77

SkyLord77 Use your teeth not a Dremel

This depends on a few things.

First. How attached are you to the spindles connecting the top to the bottom? The reason I ask this is because I don't see how you can make the drawer('s) flow with those spindles. Unless you intend on routing out a similar design all the way around the front, back, and side('s) of the drawer('s).

Second. Understand that by making new pieces the likely hood of matching the staining is slim. Unless you want to sand down the entire table and re-stain it all at the same time.

If it were me I'd cut the spindles out and replace them with something that had a rectangular shape and go from there painting the legs, modding the top to have the remote holder, possibly even putting a thin sheet of aluminum over the top and securing it from the bottom. If you're creative you can get all your parts for free. Why spend money when it's often times much simpler to do some dumpster diving?

I just realized that you most likely like the traditional look so my suggestion for design might be of no help at all.

If you want to stick with the overall design take a inventory of what you do have at your disposal. What tools do you have? What other "things" do you have that you wouldn't mind tearing apart? What "things" do your friends have that they want to give the ol' heave ho to?

There's no reason to spend a lot of money because it's much more rewarding to take something that is old and unused and rip it apart so you can have it be a part of your new creation.

Heck. I just thought of something. If you have any experiance with Marquetry why not do the top mirror of one of your Gibsons and make some end tables to match that have your remote holder and drawers?

Here is a Urn of all things with some ornate Marquetry on top.

Maybe you could paint the top to resemble your Gibson and put some Shellac on with a nice sanding? Can ya tell I like your guitars just a bit? :D

Bottom line is make it resemble what is important to you.

Hope that helped,

Keith

Last edited: 16 Feb 2009
  8. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

If I had room for end tables I totally would get some :/

Thanks for all the guitar compliments. But sadly, The les paul is not a gibson...it is a clone that is a little better than the epiphone les pauls and slightly cheaper :D

If I had a gibson, I probably would just buy a coffee table ;) lol.

9. sixfootsideburns

its late as hell right now, so i'm heading to bed, but before I do i figured id ask if you stained the table yourself or if it was bought with the finish shown in the picture. When I hear back i'll try to give you some feedback on a few possible things you could do to keep the feel of the table

10. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Thats how I got it. Its not really wood or stained. It is particle board with a wooden laminate on it with plastic wood laminate binding around it lol. I think the legs are the only thing that is real wood :/

11. sixfootsideburns

truthfully i kind of figured that much, i was really only talking about the legs and the dowel that joins them. If you took out the dowel, sanded it, restained it and then did the drawers to match you could get a pretty nice look without to much work. any idea how much money your are interested in spending?

12. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

very little lol :D

13. sixfootsideburns

haha, alright then here is what i would do. Go to a lumber yard and find some nicer looking wood, pick out what you want and go home and build yourself a frame for your drawer. The bottom of the drawer just use some thin (1/4 or 1/8 inch should be just fine unless you are planning to put heavier objects in it) piece of whatever. The guys at the lumber yard could most definitely recommend you something for that.

Ask them for some drawer slides (I would use medal) and a box of screws that short enough that they wont go all the way through the face of your table (coming from the underside).

I can give you some more specifics if its needed but as I don't know whats offered around your area its a little harder to say. If I were to do something like this you could spend 20-30 bucks most likely and do it in a day, where most of your time would be waiting for the glue to dry.

if you need tips on actually building your drawers let me know and ill try to do up a little diagram or something.

sideburns

14. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

If you wanted to stash away one of your guitars, but keep it visible, you could always have a glass top chest with the guitar in it.

15. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

for an awful moment here I thought you were going to say you wanted to mod a monitor into your coffee table.

phewph.

16. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

The only modding it needs is a brass pole in the middle and a hot girl dancing around it.